Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I had ONE brake light working and ONE signal working... I went poking around with a circuit tester, shorted it out on the side of the bulb holder, and now I have no brake lights and no turn signals.

Here is how it was:

Slope Font Triangle Parallel Symmetry

I poked my tester into the passenger side bulb socket.... saw sparks....

NOW:

Slope Triangle Font Parallel Symmetry

What did I fry? The fuse box:

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Rectangle Font

I have to move TOMORROW and drive like 300 miles with no brake lights and no signals... please help!!!

(I'm buying a 5 speed 1993 Voyager to move with... the signals and brake lights work on it hehehe)

Thank you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive lighting Electronic device Electric blue

I changed the turn signal relay switch and changed ALL of the fuses... STILL no brake lights or turn signals?!?! HELP PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Well the first place I would look is if you have power (or not) on the one side of the fuse that goes to the bulkhead. That should tell you right there, what side of the firewall to start looking on. It would also help to list the application and the year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the first place I would look is if you have power (or not) on the one side of the fuse that goes to the bulkhead. That should tell you right there, what side of the firewall to start looking on. It would also help to list the application and the year.
1985 LeBaron... I'll go test that now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

So right, the lamps work for the parking lamps, but nothing happens when I try and signal, not even a click, and none of the lights flash and neither brake light comes on.

It WAS working, but when probing the passenger side tail light with a probe to see if I could measure the flashing at the socket, I grounded it out with the needle probe to the side of the socket and a few sparks flew.

Since then, both brake lights aren't working and neither signal works.

Automotive lighting Gas Entertainment Service Visual effect lighting

I have power at the fuse box... what in the hell could be wrong with both signals and both tail lights?!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Emergency lights don't work either. I can follow the wire from the harness under the engine and directly to the switch on the steering column.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Okay double checking on the flasher. You do know there are two flashers for your car? . The emergency flasher is typically located on the fuse block at the top, and IIRC the flasher for your turn signals is possibly located on the back side of the fuse block on a metal bracket.
Do your emergency flashers work?
Taking a quick look at the service manual it looks like fuse 10 controls the turn signal flasher. and #6 controls stop lamps. Better check all those fuses again at this point.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay double checking on the flasher. You do know there are two flashers for your car? . The emergency flasher is typically located on the fuse block at the top, and IIRC the flasher for your turn signals is possibly located on the back side of the fuse block on a metal bracket.
Do your emergency flashers work?
Taking a quick look at the service manual it looks like fuse 10 controls the turn signal flasher. and #6 controls stop lamps. Better check all those fuses again at this point.
Ok going to go look now!

I replaced every fuse with a brand new fuse.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You should have direct battery feed (through fusible links) powering fuse 6. Then with key on, you should have power to bulkhead side of fuse 10. So in other words you should have power to both fuse terminals without the fuse being installed. Sounds like you checked the one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should have direct battery feed (through fusible links) powering fuse 6. Then with key on, you should have power to bulkhead side of fuse 10. So in other words you should have power to both fuse terminals without the fuse being installed. Sounds like you checked the one.
I'm taking the bus to go get the 1993 Voyager 5 speed I'm using to move tomorrow... I can store my car to Oct 3rd at the latest after I move out... thank you sooooo much for your help I feel SO lost and overwhelmed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good, Your welcome. Sounds like you have enough on your plate right now.
Broooo!!! I was supposed to launch my 2nd book this month but I was pearl harbour'ed by the move!

Everything is happening so fast right now... I just need to get these brake lights working... nobody uses turn signals anyways!

I have 14 hours of driving to do tomorrow before I re-tackle the Lebaron brake light nightmare... AHHH!!!!!!!

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Tints and shades Couch
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface Grey

Old Chryslers NEVER die!

...wish me luck, the water pump pulley is squeaking like a mofo!

Not to shabby for $500 eh?

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
Has the turn signal/brakelight issue been corrected yet?

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
You have already received good info, I will take a look at the wiring and post back if I see anything else that may help.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had something similar in my 86 SC, of all things it was the cigarette lighter that was shorted, fixed that and replaced the fuse and low and behold all my rear lights worked.

Reactions: NAJ

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had something similar in my 86 SC, of all things it was the cigarette lighter that was shorted, fixed that and replaced the fuse and low and behold all my rear lights worked.
I JUST got back from a 500 mile drive, stopped to help an old timer change a flat on the way. Whoever put those lug nuts on that jeep F-you because those were so tight I couldn't budge them until I took my rubber mallet and POUNDED the end of the wrench in the goddamn rain at the side of the highway with semis flying by at 130 KMS

Was supposed to make TWO trips today to move... didn't work out... may have to throw out a chair or two?!

My 1993 Voyager 5 speed is a DREAM to drive but I'm so damn nervous I don't know if I'll be able to fix my LeBaron's brake lights. Is there a flow chart I can find somewhere, haha... I mean, I don't have the analytical brain at the moment to problem solve this. I'll start by testing if 6 and 2 have power with the fuse out? I'm confused, ahhhh!

BTW the A523 in my Voyager is like 100x more smooth than the A555 in my LeBaron! My God the Voyager is such a dream to drive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I lost my turn signals recently. I forgot that when I pulled up and turned on my hazard lights I left them on lol make sure your hazard light switch is actually off or your signal's wont-work.

It's the switch under the steering column that you pull out or push in. I noticed on my car they don't even work and when I pull the switch out all the turn signals stop working.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
I will write you up a flowchart the best I can to help lead you through diagnostics.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will write you up a flowchart the best I can to help lead you through diagnostics.
Thank you so much, I'm so friggen nervous having to do this move. Very hard for me to concentrate right now.

I also have a rear-mounted battery that leads to a nest of wires under the hood, however, I did not find any broken fuses under the hood. (There are two attached to relays)

All of this happened after I shorted out the passenger side socket using a probe... sparks flew, then I no longer had the driver's side brake like or signal anymore.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts