Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago my 7 year old was practicing skiing down a lump of snow in my driveway and tapped the driver's window on my Suburban, which shattered. I think he tapped the Shelby's passenger quarter window too, because later that summer when we had our first hot day I was in the front yard, he was playing with a neighbor, and my Shelby quarter window popped in the bright sunlight and crumbled into shattered pieces. I looked over and he said "I didn't do anything!". After patiently waiting a long time, I bought one on Ebay from a guy that was parting out the same model, and had to wait for a guy who wanted the interior before he could get the window out and ship it to me. It's been sitting around for way too long.

What I need to know is how to pull the interior wraparound trim panel for the shoulder belt and window safely; I might have to replace some retainers if they break. Once that panel is removed, it looks like I will have to drill out two rivets on the right passenger side, then clean out the remaining glass from the plastic mounting plate. The rubber trim is old and has had more wear than usual from years of driving with plastic taped over the window cavity, but seems to be serviceable. I doubt I can find a factory replacement. The drilling hopefully is from the inside, as I don't want to mar the visible surface where the mounts are exposed in the door opening.

My Factory interior chassis manual is lost in storage after a chaotic move, so if someone can provide some screen shots of the steps to pull the panel (or describe the whole procedure) I will feel more comfortable about removing it without damaging. I do have a tool to pry panel clips. In the meantime I am busy cleaning years of tape residue. Patience is a virtue, and goo-gone is your friend. As well as a plastic scraper.

Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
24,280 Posts
Since nobody has yet to respond...
I do not have info for an 87 so I will post the info I have which is for a 90 AP body, may be similar(???).
IMG_NEW.jpg

You can also see an exploded view of the rear quarter glass in the Chrysler Parts Catalog.

1987 Catalog, Group 23A - Body Sheet Metal Except Doors, Page 855, Figure 23A-3200

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NAJ for sharing the link to the parts catalogs. I have clear images for what I need to do now. The 87p.pdf Figure 23A-3200 (page 855) shows how to install my replacement window, which has the proper channel mount for the door pillar. I just need to carefully pry the Center Pillar from the top and see if there is a hidden mount in the middle and pull it back far enough to unscrew the two mounting nuts for my window. Figure ITP-400 shows the center pillar disassembly. Save the bolts and nuts, discard the piece which has broken glass in the channel. Bolt on my replacement window with the correct channel with the two saved bolts and nuts and use the hole in the window for the rear bracket, which is still intact. I'm attaching the images to make this repair record complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you got the info you needed.
Well, not quite. Though there are very clear diagrams for the stock P-body shadow, my 87 CSX interior is different and the door pillar is one piece including the backseat armrest and seatbelt extractor cover. I will need to remove the seatbelt bolt, then see if I can pry it from the back going forward to get room to wiggle free the overlap with the front passenger window trim that goes to the windshield. Maybe someone has replaced a seatbelt winder in an 87 CSX and has experience with this panel. Pictures attached. Another alternative is to take it to the mechanic that helped me out when I blew out my donut tire spare, they replaced a bad CV joint that may have been damaged when I hit a curb and blew out a tire in heavy snow. He said he was a Chrysler trained mechanic and worked at the dealership when these P bodies were new. He told me the clunking I heard wasn't from the new CV joint, it was my motor mounts, so that is on my to-do list to get replacements from energy suspension, who provided the sway bar grommets I bought when I first got the car from my brother (first owner) in 1999.

I'll be working on door panel stuff next, but the diagrams there are very helpful for showing me why my passenger door handle isn't activating the lock.

Thanks again for the pointer to these parts guides, it makes the repairs easier to plan.

Helpful_hw_man quarter_panel_showing_seatbelt_going_to_belt_retractor.jpg quarter_panel_with_overlap.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw the post for the 91 Dodge Daytona G body seatbelt replacement with the factory manual picture. Looks like I may have to follow the same procedure cited there, oh well.

·
Administrator
24,280 Posts
I was a Chrysler Service Tech for 15 years and most dealer techs do not do window replacement, we called the glass people to replace windshields and other stationary glass.

You may want to consider investing in the FSM's.

AUCTION

BUY IT NOW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts