Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Need two Dodge Omni GLH Steering Knuckles

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  AngelesRunner 
#1 ·
Bought one set already and converted an 89 Horizon to the larger brakes from an 89 Dodge Spirit. Now want another set of steering knuckles to convert an 88 Horizon.

#3 ·
Hey Polopharm! TD New Guy!

You have to be vehicle specific with a request like this. Regular OMNI/Horizon uses a knuckle unlike any other. Narrow where the bearing presses in AND narrow at the top where the strut mounts. Different bolt center distance for the brake adapter.

85 and 86 Omni GLH and GLHS and 87 Shelby Charger use a different knuckle (wider where the bearing is pressed in but as narrow as ordinary OMNI/Horizon at the top where it mounts into the strut).

Everything else from the 80s through 1989 (k-cars, acclaim/spirit, shadow/sundance) uses a knuckle with the wider bearing like GLH/GLHS but also wider at the top where it mounts into the strut. All of these (through 1989) had pressed in bearings and removable (vehicle specific) brake adapters.

Regular OMNI/Horizon used a brake adapter with a different bolt-center spacing that fit only a smaller, lighter, narrower brake caliper for that car's unventilated rotor. You can't mount any other car's brake adapter to an OMNI/Horizon knuckle.

On the other knuckles you can use an adapter for 54 mm Calipers up to the 60 mm calipers from a caraven or other high performance car.

All of the above reflects that I don't have experience with high performance versions and don't have experience with other than single pin Kelsey Hayes brakes for these years since they are always recommended for swaps. 91 and later used a Kelsey Hayes two pin caliper and a hub assembly held in the knuckle by 4 bolts. I have not swapped any of these in my 6 cars that use them.

Please don't try to hijack someone else's post! Advertise separately for your own parts.

#4 ·
All points well taken. Sorry to jump in your thread.
My vehicle is a consulier and as such has an assortment of dodge parts.
The way I described it above was what I was told would fit and that there were numerous cars and years with the above mentioned qualities.
Anyway. Sorry for intruding.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Now, knowing your vehicle, a quick internet search reveals Consulier GTP which indicates your steering knuckles are from an 88 Daytona and NOT what I posted for. 88 Daytona should be large bearing 5 lug hub assembly and large top of the knuckle. This should be common in auto salvage yards. The web site owner is the owner of Dodge Shelby GLH # 289 of 1,000 cars made and should be knowledgable of both worlds.

Ask and most owners of older Chryslers will be glad to help.

Since you own a 30+ year old car whose numbers are in the double digits I'm assuming your other hobbies are flagellation and scourging. You should fit in well with most Chrysler enthusiasts.

The website lists:
Our address is:
P.O. Box 4283
Coos Bay, Oregon 97420

Email contact: GLHS289@hotmail.com

#6 · (Edited)
I should have been more descriptive. And on the other site I have multiple threads.
I have 2 gtp's. One is the t3 powered one. It was converted to Wildwood brakes. That car did not have the 1988 cast knuckles.
It had the ones with removable caliper brackets.
Picture if the kit

I also have a former imsa factory supercar race car which I am rebuilding. It has the cast non removable caliper brackets of the 1988 Daytona.
I have already bought the kit including custom machined brackets like shown in the above picture.
So that's why I am looking for different knuckles.

PS no Gtp is the same Johnny's list is great but is not always true for every Gtp.
Thanks and sorry again for the hijack.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Just looking at the picture and seeing the bolt hole at the top where the strut bolts on, I would say that it is a pre 1991 knuckle off of a n/a shadow/sundance or spirit/acclaim. Pressed in bearing. Thicker than 0.91 inches measured front to back as the knuckle would be on the car at the machined top where the strut mounts. Thicker than 1.4 inches measured from the inside of the bolted-on bearing retainer plate to the inside of the knuckle.

If correct, you should find it at almost any salvage yard. 4 acclaim/spirits crushed here in last month and one 89 LeBaron convertible still in the yard.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.