Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
953 Posts
Your probably best to add to and change your original harness, the only plug and play one would be from a 1992 Daytona 2.5 turbo which are very rare. Computer can come from a 1992 Shadow or Daytona, don’t think any other models had the 2.5 turbo option in 92.
Other option could be a overlay engine harness setup using the most popular 1989 electronics.

Reactions: Glhs60

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are there schematics on how to change a NA harness to a turbo?
Could you tell me what i need to do that?
Your best bet is to get engine wiring diagrams for both the NA and turbo motors for a 1992 Daytona, look at the pin outs on the sbec, and figure out/make list of deferences so you know what to add and or change. You will need a scrap turbo harness any year should work to use for plugs(hep, injectors….) and pins your going to add the the sbec connector.
Don’t forget you will need to upgrade the fuel pump too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does the turbo harness has to be from a 2.5, or it’s the same as the 2.2?
Also do you know if i can take other components (like vacuum solenoid, ect.) from 2.2 turbos, or because of the different ECU they are not compatible?
The solenoids do change over the years but I assume that any year should work, you’ll need to add two solenoids a baro, and a boost control. Maybe someone else can chime in on what they think. The harness will be just used for plugs and those two solenoids but I would go with anything 1988 and newer 2.2 or 2.5 because you’ll need that style pins to add to your sbec plug.
My first step would be studying the wiring diagrams, make a list of what you need, then start searching for the parts.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Do you have a complete turbo engine? Does it have any sensors, and injectors on it? What year is the motor?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yes it is complete, but the guy that i got the engine from said that he assembled it himself so the year is unknown. Are there major differences between, lets say 89 and 92 engine components?
The only thing actually on the engine that may be different is the tps.
The injectors, knock sensor, ais motor, oil pressure, water temp, and hep should all interchange.
If it was myself I would go with whatever is on the engine, maybe buy a 92 tps.
You could also reuse your oil pressure and water temp sensors off the original engine if it was a 4 cylinder.

Also are you going from an automatic to a manual transmission?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Pictures of the engine could help identify what you have and what is needed.

You also need to decide whether your going to try to find that plug and play turbo harness from another 1992 turbo Daytona or build one. I know where I live 92 turbo Daytonas aren’t widely available, I bought one 8 years ago and had to make a 10 hour round trip to pick it up, and that was just a parts car. I’ve seen 2 since, 1 driver, 1 in a salvage yard but both were a 16 to 20 hour drive from me. So basically what I’m saying is I would look for the harness but would plan on making one with whatever you can easily get.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I’m going from a 2.5 engine and a manual transmission
Good that makes things easier, you can just swap over your old coil, oil pressure sender, coolant temp sensors to the turbo motor. I would suggest upgrading the clutch while you have the engine out, if it’s a A523 transmission that’s fine as they are plenty strong for turbo use, no real need for the A568 but I would definitely check the free play on the input shaft as it may need a shim added.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It looks like a 1990 and up engine, based on the injector harness plug and the turbo drain tube with the extra nipple

1 - 8 of 8 Posts