Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Music can play a huge part in our driving experience. The automotive sound system has come a looong way in the last thirty years.

Anyone ever feel like you need to find a music that fits the 80s cars like a glove? There is a somewhat limited amount of new wave and future/automotive themed techno/electronic music that was made back in the day, but you're in luck! In the past five to eight years there has been a slowly building revival of synthesizer based musics which capture the feel of the 80s. People are calling it names like synthwave, neo synthwave, new retro wave, and outrun.

I was wondering if anyone else here is into this stuff and also trying to spread the word of it's existence to those who haven't already come across it.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes i listen to retro a LOT- pretty much all i listen to for the last 4 years.
Artists you may want to check out

Com Truise this guy is the absolute master of this genre. play any of his tracks and close your eyes and you will swear you've been transported to 1985.

Miami Nights 1984, also very good more upbeat faster tempo than Com Truise but not the wide range of moods

Lazerhawk- another really good artist with a wide range - Redline is a great album, killer driving music while Skull and Cross literally sounds like a Castlevania soundtrack

Trevor Something- probably one of the most underrated synthwave artists out there.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only been listening to this stuff for about a year, but I feel like for me, Le Cassette nails the sound down hard. They have vocals for almost every song. A dedicated vocalist is something that almost all of the synthwave groups is missing. I try to listen to The Midnight. Their beats and melodies are really good, but then the modern emo vocals come in and ruin it for me.

I recently got ahold of the VHS Dreams album Trans Am on cassette!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That music just goes along with the cars so well!!! Sometimes I just can't get the music loud enough while driving down the road. It's so awesome and just gives you that feeling of intense adrenaline.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two cassettes on order now. A compilation from Werkstatt records, and one from Future 80s Records: Damokles, Time Machine.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Usually, if a new synth wave song has vocals, they sound like a new pop artist superimposed into the song. Like the vocals don't belong. Artists who produce songs with vocals like Le Cassette does have a cohesive sound that takes you back.

This is Fragile Tom with Naked Bones:

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just listening to this track last night on the Synth City compilation cassettes from Werkstatt.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another synthwave classic. This one uses a beautiful Shadow ES for the vidpic.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should totally create a thread to post all your favorite night bass stuff. Someone could do a hardbass thread too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts