43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed the 5sp trans and install a 413 auto trans in my
88 shelby daytona. I ran in to a problem . The car starts in any
gear. ......HELP.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Splice the auto trans neutral/safety switch connector to your existing harness by matching colors: white wire to white wire, violet/black to violet/black. You will be left with the brown/yellow wire hanging from the connector. The brown/yellow wire that you are going to splice into is already on your existing harness. It is a ground wire and on the cars that I have looked at it is attached to the transmission case. Remove it from the case and cut that end off of it. Splice it to the remaining wire on your switch connector (the brown/yellow wire). The brown/yellow wire will no longer be grounded to the trans case.

On my car (1987 Shelby Charger) I had to cut one more wire and connect it to ground. Now that you have connected your brown/yellow wire somewhere else you need to reconnect the diode in the circuit to ground. On my car the white wire (on the trans switch harness) went to the diode and a black/white wire came out on the opposite side of the diode. I simply cut the black/white wire where it went into the wiring harness connector, crimped a lug on the end of it, and connected it to ground right next to the starter relay. Sounds a little confusing, I know. That’s why I recommend getting the diagrams for your particular vehicle.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's a problem why?????

my luck the darn thing wouldn't start even in neutral.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neutral satety switch

Mike B. said:
Splice the auto trans neutral/safety switch connector to your existing harness by matching colors: white wire to white wire, violet/black to violet/black. You will be left with the brown/yellow wire hanging from the connector. The brown/yellow wire that you are going to splice into is already on your existing harness. It is a ground wire and on the cars that I have looked at it is attached to the transmission case. Remove it from the case and cut that end off of it. Splice it to the remaining wire on your switch connector (the brown/yellow wire). The brown/yellow wire will no longer be grounded to the trans case.

On my car (1987 Shelby Charger) I had to cut one more wire and connect it to ground. Now that you have connected your brown/yellow wire somewhere else you need to reconnect the diode in the circuit to ground. On my car the white wire (on the trans switch harness) went to the diode and a black/white wire came out on the opposite side of the diode. I simply cut the black/white wire where it went into the wiring harness connector, crimped a lug on the end of it, and connected it to ground right next to the starter relay. Sounds a little confusing, I know. That’s why I recommend getting the diagrams for your particular vehicle.
thanks mike I will try this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts