Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts
well ideally you wouldve gotten the sliders that were used with that cam

the sliders do wear to match the cam lobes

if the cam has some value to you, I would buy new sliders to go with the cam

any chance you can get that cam TiN coated or 'low friction' coated ? that would halp it last almost forever

of course if its 'easy come / easy go' cam , then dont worry about it ! look through your sliders and pick the best out !!

· Registered
4,660 Posts
"appears to be used" ie not new looking. :p

· Banned
1,701 Posts
I think its used but i'm not 100% sure. Would it be acceptable to take some 1500 grit sand paper and break the glaze off of the sliders inorder for the cam to wear into the slightly rough surface?
here's the rules for cams. new cam, new followers!!!
used cam same followers in same postion.
used cam new followers.
NEVER put used followers on a new cam!!!
never mix used followers.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Well then this presents a problem, what am i supposed to do if this cam is used? I only have one set of sliders and they were in the car.
from what i get outta this is you need new followers, u can get them special order from auto parts stores or try any local engine builder or internet search for cam followers 2.2/2.5 no rollers what year is ur head?

· Premium Member
4,358 Posts
To try to use the cam as long as possible you should buy the new sintered iron followers.That is almost as good as using new followers on a new cam.stock followers will go very shortly and take the cam out with them.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
To try to use the cam as long as possible you should buy the new sintered iron followers.That is almost as good as using new followers on a new cam.stock followers will go very shortly and take the cam out with them.
I have new oem factory followers that have the sintered pads for an 85 s/c i heard that all 86 and 87 motors come stock with them
these are what i have AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Product Detail - Rocker Arm

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
it can be tough to get a slider with all new parts to live very long. Going with used stuff is scary. Most newer heads don't have oil squirters and new oil doesn't have ZP. Then if all the stars are in your favor and it is done new and right then the slider cams have less vac and eat more fuel. A same size roller will have 5-6 inches more vac, and the computer pulls the fuel back. I really like the MP 767 slider and copied it, but it is a PITA to use. Buy no bent steel followers, only solid MP units. Sand them smooth and coat them at least.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
So would i be better off with a roller TBI cam??? I know where i can pick one of those up fairly cheap, and would i then need an offset cam key?
no no no, what i would do is take this purple cam you got and find the specs. it can be done pretty ez using a dial indicator and a degree wheel go to ISKY Racing Cams - Do It Right. Race with the Legend. Camshafts, Connecting Rods, Valve Springs, Lifters they had a pretty good explanation for this. you might just have a way better profile. i used a used cam with new followers thats why i have another set cuz i have another hot used mp perf cam .550" lift

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.