Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm being told by the dealer that I need a new CAT on my 2001 PT because the flange is leaking. Because the CAT is still working, the emissions warranty doesn't cover it. The dealer wants $780.00 for a new CAT. Appearently the PT has a unique CAT and the aftermarket stuff I've been looking at won't fit because of the flange at the front. Any ideas/help ?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Is there any way to simply fix the leak? If they say it's working but not working at the same time and not covered by warranty and, by the way, $780 please....umm...no. I wouldn't do it.

RN

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RN,

Don't really wanna do it, but exhaust IS leaking from the flange joint...sounds like crap and probably leaking fumes into the car. The big problem is that the joint is flexable so the engine can torque and twist while the CAT and rest of the exhaust stay still, so the two exhaust dealers I went to said they can't weld it and said they couldn't help. Went to a used car junk yard but they said by law they can't sell a used CAT.

[ROCK] :( [HARD PLACE]

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rockstr3 said:
seems that if it is leakin and defective, it should be covered by warrenty...
I thought so too, and told the Chrysler dealer that, but they are telling me that the emissions warranty covers the inner workings of the CAT and not the flange. I ran out of the OEM warranty about 6,000 miles ago, and aftermarket warranty doesn't cover tires, brakes, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
that stinks :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hey I think I'd escalate above dealer for that....cat is covered for more than the standard warranty by federal law . You have no exhaust mods that I know of (header,etc) . I could be wrong but in battling my own problems (bad O2 sensors) I was told that cat and pcm are covered beyond the standard 3/36,000 while the sensors are not ! I think if flange is bad it's the same as internal failure as in truth you have an emissions issue as raw gases uncatilized are being leaked from your exhaust ! Let us know how you make out ,please !

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The 'CAT' as per Chrysler is covered by the emissions warranty, and INCLUDES the flange, as that part is NECCESSARY to make the rest of the unit funciton. Since is is impossible to test a CAT with a leaky flange, is must be assumed to have FAILED and be replaced by the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I thought the emissions warranty extends way beyond the 3/36 warranty.. Check the book.. I bet you could argue that the leak is changing the reading on the O2 sensor thus changing the emissions output of the car.

$780 sounds like the a bend over price. I'd try a different dealership..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I just checked Wyckoff Chrysler's OEM parts website and they say the cat lists for $450. Wyckoff's price is $391.50.
Sure is a big difference from what your dealer is telling you.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys....

Yes the CAT is covered way past my 3/36 ( I have 42,000) but they were telling me the flange isn't covered and therefore I need a new CAT. I like what your saying and reading over the warranty information booklet that came with the PT it sure sounds like it would be covered. I'll try again tomorrow with the book in hand and the info you guys passed on.

If all else fails, I'll do what I've been telling others to do and get ahold of the Chrysler area rep. If that goes bad at least I know where to get a cheaper CAT now.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
CREWZIN said:
RN,

Don't really wanna do it, but exhaust IS leaking from the flange joint...sounds like crap and probably leaking fumes into the car. The big problem is that the joint is flexable so the engine can torque and twist while the CAT and rest of the exhaust stay still, so the two exhaust dealers I went to said they can't weld it and said they couldn't help. Went to a used car junk yard but they said by law they can't sell a used CAT.

[ROCK] :( [HARD PLACE]
Uh, if exhaust is leaking the damn thing isn't working how it's supoosed to. Fix the damn leak, not replace the cat. If the problem is a leaking cat then it's broken. In my field if you have abdominal pain with occassional jandice, fever and nausea after eating fatty foods..it's your gallbladder. Even tho it still works it doesn't do it right and needs to be removed. Dealer is FOS

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I need a better explanation of the leak.

As I've install several headers on PTs, I have also replaced the flange gasket.

This gasket mates the exhaust manifold to the downpipe & cat.

This shows the mating surface for the gasket.
Is this where it's leaking?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The leak, as far as I can tell, is at a joint where there's a donut and what looks like mesh. On your second picture, right above the arrow that points to where the nut goes on. It's part of the CAT and that's why they say I have to have a whole new CAT becuase it's not a replacable part.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You can see the cat at the left of the last photo.
It's a solid and direct connection from the flange to the cat.. That pic shows everything upstream of the converter.

I'll bet your leak is at the $1 gasket.

Everything else is solid metal.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Here's a pic of the gasket from NAPA.

It costs about $6.

Part number F7568 from Victor gaskets.

Here's the info from NAPA's Prolink parts catalog online:

http://www.napaprolink.com

From Catalog Server:

Line Code NGA
Part Number F7568
Description Gasket
Attribute
Comment EDZ DOHC Chrysler Eng ,Flange Type Pipe To Manifold

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mean to say there's no "donut" gasket anywhere? And there's nothing that looks like some sort of "mesh" that allows the engine to torque and not twist off the CAT?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts