Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Administrator
26,461 Posts
1986/1987 H-Body Clutch Cable
Mopar 4377769
Marty has 3 of these.
I cannot verify a length, Marty's site shows a length of 43.5", Rock Auto shows 42"...???
Part # cross reference...
Looking this up by application shows the same cables as 88/89 although the Mopar #'s are different.

1988/1989 H-Body Clutch Cable
Mopar 4505341
Rock Auto shows a length of 41.125".
Part # cross reference...
Looking it up by application gives me different info.

Going by the length of the OE cable it appears all of the aftermarket cables are incorrect.
What is the part # on the outer casing of your OE cable and what is the overall length of your OE cable?

· Super Moderator
12,277 Posts
ok, I know what your problem is and how to get around it

yes there are two different sheath lengths while the cable length remains the same

the early cars use a different bracket at the shock tower than the later cars

one bracket is basically squarish while the later bracket is rectangular (longer)

with the difference in length the clip on part on the sheathing gets relocated
so..you need to find the other bracket
or modify rhe one you have
I'm guessing you have the short sheath cable and the long bracket going on right now

not sure when they changed the bracket but if you ask for one out of an 84-5 you should be golden

· Super Moderator
12,277 Posts
to add I've never seen a difference noted in any aftermarket part listing
you get the right part for the car ..or you don't
all depends on that bracket
and they usually offer only one cable

a little trick of mine..collect and keep both style brackets then you can work with whatever they hand you

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car was automatic, but in 1997 while stationed at Ramstien Germany I bought an 87 Shadow TI 5sp parts car (fuel fire). that was my A520 5sp parts car. so the cable bracket and clutch pedal came from the 87 shadow and have worked since then. I tried to slide the bracket mount down but the housing opened up bc one side has steel the other side does not
My 87 shadow cable sheath length is 21.5" and cable length is 42.75" I have the long rectangle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Hood

Fashion accessory Soil Metal Shadow Wood

bracket and did not know there was another one.

· Super Moderator
12,277 Posts
ok , the square bracket would put the clip on point of the bracket closer to the mounting bolts

if you can't find , or until you do find the square bracket you can probably get away with drilling two more holes in the bracket you have
just measure the "for sure"
distance difference in mounting points on the two cables and apply to the bracket when you drill it
then in future you have a bracket that works with whatever the parts guy hands you
I'll add the cable for the 90 and newer cars is even longer as they lowered the clutch arm rest point

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Auto part

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Johnny do you have the shorter bracket? Maybe this problem would be permanently solved with that bracket, and it would give more space to the brake booster. My bracket is right on the booster and forced me to send my boost to CA. for rebuild because the replacement boosters are bigger preventing the bracket from bolting View attachment 283955
on.

· Registered
188 Posts
Thankfully my 87 Daytona clutch cable broke while in the driveway. Dealer couldn't get one so tried 3 from parts stores and none were 100% all giving a very weird pressure throw. Tried drilling new bracket holes but still wasn't good, didn't fix the weird pressure throw. Finally found a new stock cable at a dealership in the Midwest and told it was the last one in North America. After all that a friend said to take the broken stock unit to a cable shop as they can repair most anything. If they can't repair they can make a new one and, for a lot extra, even put an adjuster on it. Also told if you have a clutch cable buy a back-up and wrap it around the spare tire. Although more expensive it would've saved time, effort, money, and sanity in the long run. Turns out most large cities have cable shops.
Another lesson lived & learned the hard way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts