Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes...but then its iron block and auto...which destroys the whole point of the swap, it adds an extra 50-60lbs in the engine and who knows how much in the tranny. At that point a SBF becomes more appealing on the weight front(and from a bolt on perspective).

As far as the Volvo 16v head conversion...heh, I have that head on my Ford 2.3L block...now that was a fun project, much less fun on a Volvo block though. I like the Chysler 2.4T myself, its very durable.

The ford 2.3 is a knockoff of Volvo. The factory ford head blows donkey so they take ours and swap them the Volvo redblock is a proven solid power plant

·
Registered
12 Posts
btw 2.0 sohc = ecb
2.0 dohc = ecc
2.4 dohc = edz
2.0 sohc magnum/rt = ech
but no 2.4 dohc turbo specific desigination that i can find yet

edit:
2.4 dohc turbo ngc is kze said wicked93gs and i think there are other desiginations of the different 2.4s between sbec and ngc and sbec turbo but most people just say 2.4 stratus na block or caravan and etc. and sbec is the 96-02 ecu and 03-05 is ngc for neons other platforms changed in different years like jeeps used sbec in 03 its fuzzy lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
The ford 2.3 is a knockoff of Volvo. The factory ford head blows donkey so they take ours and swap them the Volvo redblock is a proven solid power plant
A knockoff? Considering that the 2300 has been around from what?1977? until 1998, seems to me it could be the other way around...but you are right, the 2.3 2 valve head leaves a lot to be desired for airflow(unless you go with an aluminum esslinger head, but thats big money just to get to b234f numbers). An interesting fact for you...before the SVO was discontinued Ford had developed a DOHC 16v head for the 2.3t...a number of which are still in existence, I have seen one myself, sadly it never made it to actual production because the SVO was cancelled...power rating on that engine was 275HP...pretty good for 1988.

As for engine codes...its pretty irrelevant as far as chysler goes since they change them with every little change...instead of edzt when they slapped a turbo, some oil squirters and mahle rods in an edz block(leaving out the crank sensor changes)...they changed it to kze, etc. It gets especially irrelevant when you start mixing and matching like me. What engine code do I go by? I cant truly call it an SRT engine...but its sure not your standard EDZ anymore, with the 420a head the closest I can come is 424A, but only 2gen DSM guys would know what I am talking about then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A knockoff? Considering that the 2300 has been around from what?1977? until 1998, seems to me it could be the other way around.

The Volvo redblock became stardard 1976... Then volvo just kept going. I've always thought Volvo and ford had some secret deals or something going on. Between the motors the heads and the massive amount of 13mm that Volvo used. Is it a 13mm or a 1/2 that ford sold to Volvo?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever make any progress on this build? I’m looking to do the same thing to my 75 Volvo 242 but I’m not sure what to do about the oil pan since the 242 requires a rear sump. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did you ever make any progress on this build? I’m looking to do the same thing to my 75 Volvo 242 but I’m not sure what to do about the oil pan since the 242 requires a rear sump. Any suggestions?
Life happened... but this will be happening. I cant let ya steal my idea! Haha

21 - 27 of 27 Posts