Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This seems like a nice place and I decided to join. My name is Dwayne and here is my short story and introduction.

I live in Western Maryland and my first car was a 1991 Plymouth Sundance. My grandparents gave me the car when I was 16 and like most 16 year old boys, I broke this car pretty quickly. Everything from wrecking it on ice to driving it hot and blowing head gasket. I was young and stupid and before too long, it was time for a different car. My once blue, now multicolored pieced together from junk yard parts was finally deemed ready to retire. I needed a car. I looked around and what I found was a white 1988 Dodge Shadow ES. The car was only about a thousand dollars since it didn't run. Turned out all it needed was a fuel pump. But I loved that car. The turbo gauge was fun and the hump on the hood was cool. Still a young kid, unfortunately, this one got tore up too. The "yeah I'm awesome I have a TURBO attitude got me a totalled car in just a few months. Stupid kid. I figiured I had learned my lesson and financed for a 1993 Shadow ES convertible. Tho I took much better car of this car, I was still young and didn't buy tires as soon as I should have. Bald tires on the interstate hydroplaned me into the guard rail and totalled this one too, though I did have this car for a few years compared to the few months of the other 2.

Fast forward allot of years and I've had lots other cars but the Shadows seemed to stick out. Especially the 1988 ES. I really like that Shadow. I wanted another one. My cousin happened to stumble upon one for sale and knew I liked them so he told me about it. It was a 1988 red Dodge Shadow ES with 203k miles for $1650. Sold! For 203k miles, it was in pretty good shape and ran fine. Not pristine by any means, but not bad. This was last year. I knew the 2.2 turbo was getting rare and the car was in acceptable condition so I decided to put it in a few car shows. It got some attention at the events and I soon discovered there was a Shelby version of the car. Whaaaaaaat? I gotta have one! So I searched the classifieds. Nothing. Search search search nothing. Finally found one in Michigan for about 10 grand. 800 miles away? 1987 Shelby CSX? 68k miles? Sold! I just picked up the car a week ago and it's my baby. Love both of these shadows and plan on putting them both in car shows.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about cars and taking them to the garage all the time costs allot of money. i came here hoping some of you can help me with the mechanics, finding parts, car shows, information and and making new friends.

For those of you who don't want to read all that junk I just wrote:
I have 2 Turbo Dodge cars

Red 1988 Dodge Shadow ES with 203k miles
Black 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX #27 with 68k Miles

and I'm looking to meet some new people who might even offer me some help fixing up these 2 beautiful cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy those Shadows!! I bought an '87 Turbo Shadow brand new. Traded my '84 Shelby Charger (silver on blue) on the Shadow.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Welcome!!

Sounds like you came to the right place.

It's been dead recently but there's lots of info available.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I actually joined last year when I bought the 88 shadow but regretfully spent no time in the forums. Love these 80s turbo cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had my LeBaron GTC Turbo II out today for a drive, and a nearly new VW turbo thought I wasn't going fast enough and decided to pass me on the right. Needless to say, he couldn't get by me. I'm guessing he was surprised!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, except I have a manual boost valve on it making around 14+. It is the "Shelby" GTC with all of the go-fast goodies. I could do a quick list for you if you aren't familiar with all of the pluses of this GTC. Let me know if you are interested and unfamiliar. To start with, only 906 of the convertibles were made in four colors. Which I knew how many were white.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been a long time since I've seen a LeBaron. Shelby equivalent.... never would have guessed! I bet it runs pretty good for its time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They used to race these in ARCA back in the day (1988-98). It had all of the racing mods that came with the Daytona. This included the 11" brakes, 16” wheels (205/55-16), Shelby springs and sway bars. The 2.2L is strengthened with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, Mahle pistons, upgraded mainshaft bearings and intercooled Garret T03 turbo II (175 hp with 12 psi boost). The 5-speed A-555 manual transaxle included a 3.85 final drive, with a coarse-pitched gearset from Getrag, four-pinion differential (rather than the two pinion piece in the 520) and bigger 230 mm clutch assembly, standard in the Daytona Shelby Z with manual transmission. The case was a permanent-mold, high-strength, heat-treated aluminum. As far as my research shows, the only cars that shared parts (Shelby Z package) were the Daytona Shelbys and the Daytona CS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand allot of the high tech talk... but cool! Sounds like a nice ride. Let's see a pic

·
Registered
65 Posts
Haven't taken one yet this year. Over the winter, I cleaned up a set of OEM wheels, and it looks better now. Here's a couple from last year. IMG_1106.JPG 89 LeBaron GTC.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks well cared for. Profile says you live in Pittsburgh. Not too far from here. Maybe a 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm near deep creek lake area. Western MD. I've gone to kennywood on several occasions. Been to Pittsburgh a few times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked out the link. Very cool I will definitely have to look into this. Hopefully they don't cancel. Have you ever been before?

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, I have not. Because it is in Pennsylvania, I planned to go to SDAC-30 scheduled for this year, but it was postponed to 2021 due to COVID. Be aware that it moves around every year. In 2022, it might be in Texas or Wisconsin, so next year would be a great opportunity for folks in our area to go! Look for my white LeBaron. Maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a good time. Hopefully this covid situation clears and and I can out to a few car shows and events. Seems they keep canceling them all.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
Whatever assistance you need/want Please feel free to ask.
Enjoy Your Rides!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts