Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i just picked up a 92 shadow with a 2.5 auto. I got this car for free all it needs is brakes and a headgasket. I was wondering how hard is a headgasket to do on these cars? I have done a headswap on my 92 eagle talon tsi and it wasnt too dificult.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are some people here that will tell you that a head gasket change will only take 2 hours... That still sounds iffy to me, but there are a lot of people with more experience than I have. I would give the project a weekend, if your going to do the head gasket might as well do the water pump as well. Not to mention you always find something else you "should" fix when you climb under the car. Good luck, and have fun.

-Joe

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Welcome!
Well when you take the head off (you will want to do that) you take the exhaust manifold, turbo and intake with you. From there you should check how your pistons look, block, check shaft play on your turbo(this is a turbo right???). Also a good time to redo all the vacuum lines, new fuel filter, timing belt etc! If all checks out to be good the headgasket shouldn't take too long at all. Like ^ said I would reserve a weekend, get all the tune up parts (plugs, wires etc.) and make a weekend of fixing this car up. I would suggest getting the headgasket from mopar.
Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it was a turbo but its a plain 2.5 tbi shadow. I got this car for free because i wrecked my talon. After savin up for awhile i will be lookin for another pbody turbo or daytona.

·
Registered
84 Posts
not to bad ive been through my 1991 shadow 3 times now working on #4 but ive got a buddy who,s been around the turbo dodge block a few times so that helps.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
right on in that case scratch the turbo part. but everything else I put up there is quite relevant and is good to replace to get rid of headaches later and have your car running in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
They are easy...
  • Take picture's of the vacuum line/hose's and where the go on the throttle body.
  • Get some masking tape, when you remove a line/hose tape it and the nipple it came off of and write on the tape a number(match them of course).
  • Disconnect all electrical connectors from the cylinder head and and throttle body(do not forget about the ground strap going from the back end of the intake manifold to the firewall).
  • Drain radiator.
  • Drain engine oil.
  • Remove upper timing belt cover and valve cover bolts(keep valve cover on the head, removal will be listed.
  • Loosen the lugnuts on the passenger front tire.
  • Jack vehicle up and secure it with a pair of jackstands.
  • Loosen the timing belt tensionor(15mm socket) to gain slack in the timing belt.
  • Remove the two spring loaded exhaust manifold to pipe flange bolts/nuts.
  • Remove valve cover.
  • Remove cylinder head bolts
  • With help(another person or cherry picker) lift cylinder head(with intake and exhaust manifold connected) up and off the engine.
Now the the top end has been removed...
  • Take the intake and exhaust manifold off the head.
  • Send the head to a machine shop and have it resurfaced(want some more power from the TBI, shave the head 0.010th-0.030th of an inch).
  • Clean the blocks head gasket surface really well.

To buy list!
  • Exhaust donut.
  • Downpipe/Exhaust bolt kit(the two with the springs).
  • Intake/Exhaust manifold gasket.
  • Head gasket
  • Head bolts
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Copper spray(arocel can)
  • Throttle Body Gasket(2 if you want to make a spacer)
  • Coolant
  • Coolant system treatment
  • Oil(Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil1 - Super Tech, Pennzoil, Quaker State are off limits)

Put everything on in reverse of how it was taken off. If you do shave the head buy some Mopar Performance cam keys from Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc. so you can get the engine timed correctly.

This is all I could recall at 12AM:p, hope I didn't miss anything. When you are ready to assemble PM me and remind me of the thread and i'll do instruction's on what you'll use the copper spray on and finish the after install instructions

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, i finaly got started on the shadow. Its pretty easy so far. All i have left to finish is drain the coolant, set it to TDC, pull VC, take off DP, lift head off and i think thats it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the head off and everything, put a new water pump, timing belt etc. I pulled the head off by myself with both manifolds attached. I was putting it in and i killed the headgasket so now i have to wait to get another one :(. Here are some pics though
HG that came off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woot it runs! I got most of it done today and it started up. It idled steady at like 2200 because im still trying to figure out wich connecter goes where on the tb. I have some pics, There is a a main harness part where 3 connecters come off of. 1 goes to the top of the tb and the other 2 dont fit on the isc or the other connecter on the passenger side of the tb

I have one last question. Does anyone have a vacuum diagram? My brother basically broke most of the vacuum hoses trying to get them off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Vaccuum diagram should be on the hood. If not, I'm sure someone here has a FSM for that year, or check out a Chilton's manual at your local library.

If you want to REALLLY have fun with that 2-dr, save some $$$, buy a turbo motor/wiring harness/SMEC, and do a turbo swap. The motors in these cars are a breeze to drop out and replace. I have an '89 Shadow 4-dr I am working on(HG issue as well), and have a 2.5L motor from my old car that I'm "blowing" and making my own turbo motor(hopefully).

If you want to unleash that TBI beast a bit, get an A523 5-spd and ditch the slushbox. I have one in my Shadow, and with the 2.2L motor, it will dust most ricers before they know what hit them....lol.:thumb: I had this same trans in my '89 Acclaim, and with the 2.5L, I could roast most Hondumbs right off the line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts