· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe my question has been answered - Thanks

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Re: springy new lifters??

I just picked up some new MP lifters.

They all don't behave the same. Out of 8 of them, a couple of them are really springy, a couple are hard as rocks, and the rest are of varying levels of springiness.
I can squeeze some of them as much as a 1/8th inch with my ultra-scientific thumb and forefinger testing method.

My questions are:
is this to be expected?
will the hard ones loosen up?
should the springy ones be harder?
am I overreacting?

All of the MP & MOPAR stuff I have bought before was from Chrysler. These lifters are from the Daimler era.

If you have bought and used MP lifters, I want to hear what you have to say!!
question 1. Yes
question 2. You need to understand how lash adjusters work.
question 3. You need to understand how lash adjusters work
question 4. TOTALLY.

I build a lot of engines, besides 2.2/2.5. All engines with hydraulic lifters or lash adjusters, or lifter buckets (quad 4, VW, Vega and a few others). Anyway, get yourself educated in how hydraulic cams work. Go to your local library or book store and buy an Automotive Text book like what Highschool auto shops would use to teach the kiddies. Reading thru books like this is a great way to become more educated and will greatly improve your abilities to service your own automobile. If this task is too difficult, try an internet search of various cam companies. Isky, Crank, Crower, are all great sources that may answer this specific question. Try how hydraulic lifters work - Google Search

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

question 1. Yes
question 2. You need to understand how lash adjusters work.
question 3. You need to understand how lash adjusters work
question 4. TOTALLY.

I build a lot of engines, besides 2.2/2.5. All engines with hydraulic lifters or lash adjusters, or lifter buckets (quad 4, VW, Vega and a few others). Anyway, get yourself educated in how hydraulic cams work. Go to your local library or book store and buy an Automotive Text book like what Highschool auto shops would use to teach the kiddies. Reading thru books like this is a great way to become more educated and will greatly improve your abilities to service your own automobile. If this task is too difficult, try an internet search of various cam companies. Isky, Crank, Crower, are all great sources that may answer this specific question. Try how hydraulic lifters work - Google Search
HAHA funny dude...

I just never bought a set that was all whacky before.
like if I buy a set, I expect them to be all the same.

So the real answer you are saying:

"It doesn't matter if some of them are rock hard and some of them are soft and squishy - thats Daimler quality control - don't worry about it"

Ok... anybody else?

· Registered
3,600 Posts

i submerge my new lash adj in a bucket of clean engine oil and leave them there over night or longer depending when i'm going to do the job. this process helps burp the air out of them so they don't clatter on first startup.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Plenty anybody else. You just too lazy to read?
Yup, I understand the concept of a hydraulic lifter...
No, not too lazy to read, just couldn't find anything to tell me why I got 8 diff lifters that act 8 diff ways...

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i submerge my new lash adj in a bucket of clean engine oil and leave them there over night or longer depending when i'm going to do the job. this process helps burp the air out of them so they don't clatter on first startup.
Good tip. would thin oil be good for that?

· Registered
3,600 Posts

I just picked up some new MP lifters.

They all don't behave the same. Out of 8 of them, a couple of them are really springy, a couple are hard as rocks, and the rest are of varying levels of springiness.
I can squeeze some of them as much as a 1/8th inch with my ultra-scientific thumb and forefinger testing method.

My questions are:
is this to be expected?
will the hard ones loosen up?
should the springy ones be harder?
am I overreacting?

All of the MP & MOPAR stuff I have bought before was from Chrysler. These lifters are from the Daimler era.

If you have bought and used MP lifters, I want to hear what you have to say!!
Yup, I understand the concept of a hydraulic lifter...
No, not too lazy to read, just couldn't find anything to tell me why I got 8 diff lifters that act 8 diff ways...
how did u go from 8 lash adj with a couple hard as my pee-pee to 8 diff lifters that act 8 diff ways. are you embelishing the story or just being goofy? if u feel ambitious u could take apart each adjuster and make sure there's no oil in them cuz that could be why its hard, or u could check the check valve to make sure that they are in proper working condition cuz a stuck one could make it hard too, or u could check to make sure there's no rusting inside cuz that could also be hard

y not just use the same oil that'll go in the motor, all i ever did cuz figure when the engine starts, what goes into the lash adj?

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

how did u go from 8 lash adj with a couple hard as my pee-pee to 8 diff lifters that act 8 diff ways. are you embelishing the story or just being goofy? if u feel ambitious u could take apart each adjuster and make sure there's no oil in them cuz that could be why its hard, or u could check the check valve to make sure that they are in proper working condition cuz a stuck one could make it hard too, or u could check to make sure there's no rusting inside cuz that could also be hard

y not just use the same oil that'll go in the motor, all i ever did cuz figure when the engine starts, what goes into the lash adj?
I'm just frustrated.... so yeah goofy...
I guess I wanted to hear from some people eho actually bought these things... and when people told me to go learn how they work....

I am a little worried there is something wrong but I dont really want to take them apart... I'd rather just return them and get some others.

oh, and I asked about the oil cause since they wouldn't be under pressure in a bucket, a lower vis oil might displace the air inside better *shrug*
I guess I am over-analyzing ...

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts

I guess I am over-analyzing ...
no not really ; noticing things like that (replacement prts dont seem "right") and realizing that there MAY be a problem is a very important skill

going to a forum for info is also intelligent

be patient ; do your research on this forum and others ; filter thru the feedback that the greybeards give ya.. and filter thru the crap too :)

you'll find that if you submerge the soft lifters in some engine oil, and squeeze them couple times, they will suck some oil inside and firm right up nice !

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

no not really ; noticing things like that (replacement prts dont seem "right") and realizing that there MAY be a problem is a very important skill

going to a forum for info is also intelligent

be patient ; do your research on this forum and others ; filter thru the feedback that the greybeards give ya.. and filter thru the crap too :)

you'll find that if you submerge the soft lifters in some engine oil, and squeeze them couple times, they will suck some oil inside and firm right up nice !
Ok cool... do you think I'll have any problems with the hard-a$$ ones?
like Hanging valves or them getting stuck down on assembly?
I guess what I'm worried about is whatever is keeping them stuck out will keep them stuck in on assembly.

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts

I guess what I'm worried about is whatever is keeping them stuck out will keep them stuck in on assembly.
a good question taht I dont know the answer to

I know on my DSM I was told to 'collapse' all 16 lifter in a vice to make them 'spongy' before install, with the rationale that as the engine oil P came up and filled the lifters, they would expand to just te right amount

I have never worried about that on my 2.2s - maybe I should ?? partially becuz they are not 'interference' motors (the DSM is, AMHIK :banghead: )

my intuition is that they cant really be 'overfilled' or 'overhard' , but please someone else jump in here ...

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

holy crap, so that's why i was doing that, i just thought it would be a good idea.
I don't get why you're snapping on me. I'm listening to what you're telling me...

I was just wondering if you used a a lower vis oil in the bucket.
You said no and seemed to wonder why I would think that.
I was just explaining why I had asked that...

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

a good question taht I dont know the answer to

I know on my DSM I was told to 'collapse' all 16 lifter in a vice to make them 'spongy' before install, with the rationale that as the engine oil P came up and filled the lifters, they would expand to just te right amount
I just tried (don't laugh) leaning on them to put pressure on the spring to make them collapse... I had luck with all but one. Maybe I will try that Vise trick.

· Registered
3,600 Posts

do u know how to compress a lifter/lash adj? i read in my ford book to put it in a vice and gently compress it. maybe u could try that so see whats up with it.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

do u know how to compress a lifter/lash adj? i read in my ford book to put it in a vice and gently compress it. maybe u could try that so see whats up with it.
I hear what you both are saying. I will do that.
The other times I bought new lifters they were all even across the board.
The only reason I was pushing them against the desk was because I didn't want to open the package (carded, not boxed) if I was gonna send them back.

So from what you guys are telling me, this isn't a red flag..

I should just compress them and let them spring back - and all will be well.

Got it, and thanks for being patient guys:)

· Registered
1,001 Posts

.......and filter thru the crap too :)
This place has really needed an industrial-sized crap filter lately. Some people just don't think that anyone but themselves can work on a car. I had to deal with the same BS when I worked at a dealership. It gets a little old. If people didn't have questions, then what the hell would be the point in having a forum? Maybe there's a slight chance that people who post questions have exhausted all resources that they could find, become frustrated, and post a question that they could possibly have answered on their own later on. If you don't have anything productive to say, then why post, only to put someone down and give yourself a false sense of self-esteem. If it's not productive, but makes you feel cool, then why not? :bash:

· Registered
19 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I got mopar lifters and some are stiffer than others. In the factory service manual it says that when you press down on the lifters while they are installed in the head with oil in them and you can push them down easily they are shot. On the new ones I have after displacing the air with oil some got hard and some got harder but not as hard. Most of he old lifters I pulled are hard, maybe 2 that are real soft. According to the service manual they should be rather firm. I'm going to install the new ones anyways, and I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it. If there is excessive noise than I'll get the dodge neon lifters with washers from ForwardMotioninc.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.