Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just ordered 08 patriot, 2.4 5sp fwd

after i break it in for 10,000km (6,000) miles i want to put on a turbo system like or exact srt-4/pt .

i notice that there are giveaway prices on used manifold/turbo set ups, should i rely on one of these or start with the available upgrade aftermarket stuff?

with the patriot i will be wanting to build in a little more low end torque, what would you guys recommend for turbos and cams? its a concern because of the extra weight of this chassis

i will run 18" rims with suv type h rated rubber, stock height.

also looking for bigger sway bars, do any of the other dodge models work?

jeff

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
so your gonna take a BRAND NEW patriot, with a full WARRANTY and tear apart the engine AFTER you break it in (which would void the warranty on your new car)................ You do realize you won't be able to run very much boost with the stock pistons right? Also if I'm not mistaken, that new 2.4 that it has is the new world engine which is different than the PT/SRT-4 engine setup (not compatable). You would have to look for the turbo setup out of a caliber srt-4. Just buy the caliber srt-4, then you can have a turbo car AND keep the warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i realize that this will be a unique project, but i dont know if you guys down in the US know how badly we get ripped off here on autos and parts here in canada, but we pay much more for our cars and parts ( and even more when the US dollar is high. even vehicles made in canada are aprox. 25% higher to start with , parts are 40-50% higher.

caliber turbo cars are about $36,000 list here with only about 1 at every 2 or 3 dealerships. i have ordered from seattle at $15,000 for a fwd 5sp.

i believe that the warranty coverage is fine for the first year and i will take over the maintenance after that period and modify the car as i wish.

i have had several turbo cars and still have 2 a 86 svo mustang with mods and 430 rwhp at 28lbs boost ( gtech readings, probably over optimistic) but if even 10% off then 390 rwhp or about 450 engine hp. i also have a super 7 type homebuilt car with 3.8 ford supercoupe engine and t5 with t4 turbo system ,1600lbs, too unstable for anything over 1/4 throttle at 120 mph. i built the turbo system from scratch, made very easy as its on propane.

the previous cars i have owned and modified are 88 shelby daytona, 86 shelby charger, 84 svo mustang, 5l mustangs, 70 mustang, 67 shelby gt 350, 69 dart swinger, 70 charger 500. quite a few other not so glamorous cars as daily drivers (90 sho) etc. i usually restore amd modify them to the best of my ability, i would have liked to keep them all but i have sold to a very good offers to further my automotive hobby ( i bought 4 houses with the proceeds from the 67 shelby)

now unfortunatly i only have parking/storage for 4 cars only 2 spots for me, and i have given the 86 svo to my 18 yo for a grad gift this month he finished the 2nd year at the ford asset program.

i understand there will be issues with a patriot turbo mod but the future is here, and in very short order everything will be available to do the mods professionally and I can certainly swap in a pt turbo powertrain or a set of strong rods and forged pistons into the patriot engine if required.

i would like to hear from all with their suggestions, thanks as there is no other choice of vehicles, as i need the space and higher ground clearance than a srt-4 or pt and even larger cargo area than caliber. We have a little bernese mountain dog who needs space when travelling, and I am 6' 280 lbs and a family of 5.

jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i realize that this will be a unique project, but i dont know if you guys down in the US know how badly we get ripped off here on autos and parts here in canada, but we pay much more for our cars and parts ( and even more when the US dollar is high. even vehicles made in canada are aprox. 25% higher to start with , parts are 40-50% higher.

caliber turbo cars are about $36,000 list here with only about 1 at every 2 or 3 dealerships. i have ordered from seattle at $15,000 for a fwd 5sp.

i believe that the warranty coverage is fine for the first year and i will take over the maintenance after that period and modify the car as i wish.

i have had several turbo cars and still have 2 a 86 svo mustang with mods and 430 rwhp at 28lbs boost ( gtech readings, probably over optimistic) but if even 10% off then 390 rwhp or about 450 engine hp. i also have a super 7 type homebuilt car with 3.8 ford supercoupe engine and t5 with t4 turbo system ,1600lbs, too unstable for anything over 1/4 throttle at 120 mph. i built the turbo system from scratch, made very easy as its on propane.

the previous cars i have owned and modified are 88 shelby daytona, 86 shelby charger, 84 svo mustang, 5l mustangs, 70 mustang, 67 shelby gt 350, 69 dart swinger, 70 charger 500. quite a few other not so glamorous cars as daily drivers (90 sho) etc. i usually restore amd modify them to the best of my ability, i would have liked to keep them all but i have sold to a very good offers to further my automotive hobby ( i bought 4 houses with the proceeds from the 67 shelby)

now unfortunatly i only have parking/storage for 4 cars only 2 spots for me, and i have given the 86 svo to my 18 yo for a grad gift this month.

i understand there will be issues with a patriot turbo mod but the future is here, and in very short order everything will be available to do the mods professionally and I can certainly swap in a pt turbo powertrain or a set of strong rods and forged pistons into the patriot engine if required.

i would like to hear from all with their suggestions, thanks as there is no other choice of vehicles, as i need the space and higher ground clearance than a srt-4 or pt and even larger cargo area than caliber. We have a little bernese mountain dog who needs space when travelling, and I am 6' 280 lbs and a family of 5.

jeff

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seems like it is a ridiculously large project w/ very little outcome.
You're takin a new vehicle, which doesn't have anything wrong w/ it....voiding warranty and dumping a bunch of money into a vehicle that you probably already spend a decent sum on. To me these seem like good projects for cheaper vehicles since you need swap out so much on.
Just seems a bit...do I dare use the word 'stupid'? Leave well enough alone guy, its a nice new vehicle. Leave it nice and new. If you insist on doing something like that on a vehicle like this find something w/ a blown motor or some other vehicle that needs work. I mean wow....
I'm sorry, but if I were thinking this I'd really want someone to give me a reality check and talk me out of it. I'll play that role. Don't do it.
By the way, sweet dog....I love those. We've got a St. Bernard and English Mastiff. Get a truck ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like a challenging project, I'm not sure this forum will be much help to you seeing as most of us modify our sub $1000 cars ;)

I graduated from Asset in Calgary in 2005, great program. Is Darcy still teaching? He was a good prof.

Western Canada Turbododge is a mostly alberta turbo dodge forum, mainly 80's and 90's dodges however.

And yup that's gonna be a world engine Chrysler World Engines
Might take a bit for the performance parts to be readily available like the old 2.4L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts