Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just picked up a 2008 Dodge Magnum 2.7 a couple days ago. I am on the custommagnums and LX forums and most everyone considers the 2.7 a waste of money. My car is wicked heavy at 4000 lbs and is a turtle with the 2.7. I am wanting to do a turbo and some other performance mods to run with the likes of the RTs. Has anyone done a turbo on the 2.7 for the Magnum, Charger or 300?

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
wow the 3.5 is bad, I didn't know they came that small. Either way you can turbo it though but you can buy a whole Hemi 5.7 drive train just over $2000 too though.

From what I've seen of the engine it is a lot like the Neon DOHC engine in many ways, like a V6 version of a 2.0. Hahn racecraft was putting the engine into the 2000+ Neons as a swap before the SRT 4 came out. So there is one name doing something with it.

A turbo swap is going to require a hybrid turbo, custom exhaust and a wide band to start with. You need to buy a map defeater, basically the same as our old boost cut out riser. The defeater will kick open under any positive pressure and shut during any vac so the computer won't freak out. Then you need a rise rate gain fuel pressure regulator. Then as you get 1 PSI of boost you get 2-3 PSI of fuel pressure. With a wide band you can then adjust fuel.

This will have to be mild, less than 10 PSI and with an intercooler. The 2.7 will make a lot more torque and move the weight better but the engine will die with over 10 PSI. Big 3" single exhaust out of the turbo and a cold air intake will help it spool. You will need to do a lot of exhaust work to make this happen. Once you get past the exhaust the rest isn't too bad, a water to air will leave more room too.

Keep in mind there isn't hardly anyone that has messed with that engine, so this install will be from scratch. The first thing to do is find out what gears you can buy for the diff. Buying 4.56 or 4.88 gears or close to it will really help the car. They have a lot ove over drive so they won't be geared too deep. But low gearing will really make a major change in how it drives.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info Pope! The reason I bought the 2.7 (besides it was the most affordable!) is b/c everyone said not to. I am the kind of guy that strives to prove people, aka doubters, wrong! I would love to trick this 2.7 out to reach the 250 HP mark to the rear wheels. From some other dyno tests these 2.7 are only putting about 135 HP to the rear stock. I would love to find someone interested in going into business with me to make this system. it would be a huge success if our price point was good.

· Premium Member
10,119 Posts
keep in mind that people normally looking to go faster are going to buy the hemi anyway. What your doing is rare and because most buying that car want a family car that is good on gas. But the biggest turn away is the strength of the 2.7, it will need to be pulled and better rods and pistons installed for it to live with big boost. A mild 10 PSI and lower gears will move the magnum around, but it'll be very hard on it as the 2.7 just is made to be 135 WHP. Also consider that is cost almost 3 times more money to rebuild a 2.7 than a Hemi because of the timing chain BS. It can be done but you go too far and it'll really cost you.

· Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I see some issues. First, the car probably has a returnless fuel system. ie. The controller modulates the pump speed to adjust the fuel pressure in the rail. There is no return line and mechanical regulator that can be modified/overridden to raise the fuel pressure.

More likely, you may have to find a way to trick the ECU into raising the fuel rail pressure.

Then the question is do you have enough room in the engine bay for one or two turbos? If you go with one turbo, you will need to route a crossover pipe to merge the two exhaust manifolds.

If you can find a way to define where the turbo flange is going relavent to the exhaust flange, I might be able to help you with the turbo header.

A better place to start might be with ported heads, cam and normally-aspirated headers.

I can probably help you with the cylinder head porting if you go that route.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see some issues. First, the car probably has a returnless fuel system. ie. The controller modulates the pump speed to adjust the fuel pressure in the rail. There is no return line and mechanical regulator that can be modified/overridden to raise the fuel pressure.

More likely, you may have to find a way to trick the ECU into raising the fuel rail pressure.

Then the question is do you have enough room in the engine bay for one or two turbos? If you go with one turbo, you will need to route a crossover pipe to merge the two exhaust manifolds.

If you can find a way to define where the turbo flange is going relavent to the exhaust flange, I might be able to help you with the turbo header.

A better place to start might be with ported heads, cam and normally-aspirated headers.

I can probably help you with the cylinder head porting if you go that route.
What type of gains can I expect starting with this route? Also, will the engine (not being a forged bottom) hold up to the extra HP?

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
Many people tell you not to buy the 2.7 cars because of there history. They dont last past 100,000 miles and they are usually extremely expensive to replace.

· Registered
5,790 Posts
The 2.7 looks good on paper, but it has a lot of flaws.

Forward Motion did a turbo on a 2.7 Stratus R/T when they first came out. The engine grenaded in short order.

They have massive oiling issues from what I understand as well.

I totally get why you want to do something that everybody says can't be done, ect. If that's your plan, then I wish you luck, just be prepared to spend a lot of time and $$$$$.

If you just want to have fun turboing a V6 in a Magnum, I'd say just find a 3.5 drivetrai and go from there.

If you are dead set on the 2.7, then I wish you a lot of luck and keep us updated! :thumb:

· Premium Member
2,530 Posts
What type of gains can I expect starting with this route? Also, will the engine (not being a forged bottom) hold up to the extra HP?
I am not very familiar with the 2.7L, but I would guess you should be able to get 10-20hp porting depending on how good they are too start with. Probably 5-10hp from headers.

On the general durability of the 2.7L, I am guessing that it is a lot like the A604. The early ones had issues, but they did fix the issues. My wife's '96 Grand Caravan is over 200K miles on the factory transmission.

Keep in mind we are talking about an '08 2.7L, not a mid-90's version of the engine...

· Registered
5,790 Posts
They didn't come out with the 2.7 until 2001 IIRC, or somewhere around there. Chrysler TRIED to fix the 2.7, but never really did from what I've heard from people that worked at dealerships. Last I knew they stopped making the engine all together. Probably one of the shortest lived engines of the modern era!

· Registered
2 Posts
Great info Pope! The reason I bought the 2.7 (besides it was the most affordable!) is b/c everyone said not to. I am the kind of guy that strives to prove people, aka doubters, wrong! I would love to trick this 2.7 out to reach the 250 HP mark to the rear wheels. From some other dyno tests these 2.7 are only putting about 135 HP to the rear stock. I would love to find someone interested in going into business with me to make this system. it would be a huge success if our price point was good.
I congratulate you , people who like power and but the so called hemi, have no engineering or imagination skills. It's eazy to drive a car or truck for that matter that was build for speed to go fast. But it takes skill to take an average car and make it faster then the hemisphere. You should watch the video with dodge charger without the hemi race a civic guess what the civic won. I used to set up cars for racing, I had a geo storm that I st the engine up for racing I beat a 89 cammaro (I know I probably spelled that wrong) by 2 blocks in the 1/4 mile. I took a $1,200 car and sold it for $22,470 . So if you dream make it happen. I'm not saying it's going to be eazy because it's going to take alot of hard work. But does any of that really matter when at the end your dream came true. So again I congratulate you for being a dreamer. I know you can do this.

· Registered
2 Posts
I congratulate you , people who like power and but the so called hemi, have no engineering or imagination skills. It's eazy to drive a car or truck for that matter that was build for speed to go fast. But it takes skill to take an average car and make it faster then the hemisphere. You should watch the video with dodge charger without the hemi race a civic guess what the civic won. I used to set up cars for racing, I had a geo storm that I st the engine up for racing I beat a 89 cammaro (I know I probably spelled that wrong) by 2 blocks in the 1/4 mile. I took a $1,200 car and sold it for $22,470 . So if you dream make it happen. I'm not saying it's going to be eazy because it's going to take alot of hard work. But does any of that really matter when at the end your dream came true. So again I congratulate you for being a dreamer. I know you can do this.
Sorry stupid auto correct changed some wordsu

· Registered
43 Posts
I have rebuilt WAY to many 2.7's. I would NOT even attempt to increase the output of one. The bottom end is so fragile that it WILL grenade if you turbo it. As somebody said, it looked good on paper, but in reality it was just garbage. I converted my 2002 Stratus from a 2.7 to a 2.4, 4 cylinder. It has plenty of power, and it will outlive any TWO 2.7's. They had issues blowing head gaskets WITHOUT a turbo. I don't want to think about how common that would have been if they turbo-ed them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts