Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another category and it mysteriously disappeared not sure what happened if I am breaking a rule please let me know.

I have an 89 Voyager 2.5 (auto) currently running the stock Mitsubishi turbo on a manual boost controller set to 13psi (Gillis boost valve for controller) and a stock Lancer T2 intercooler, electric exhaust cutout, 255 fuel pump already installed. Otherwise van is stock.

I have the following items awaiting install:

Adjustable FPR, +40% injectors, Autometer 20psi boost gauge, AEM UEGO wideband, PT lifter upgrade.

Now to my question. This is the first turbo dodge I have ever modified so I need some help on turbo selection. My goal is to get this van into the mid 13s at full weight and can be driven daily.

I need a turbo that will be easy to obtain (stocked by a vendor), bolts right up without having to redrill flanges or clearancing and lastly won’t be a tuning nightmare.

Keep in mind I’m a novice here trying to learn as a go. I will be doing all the installation myself.

Please let me know what turbo you recommend and maybe where I can obtain it (USA)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Welcome!!

Nice looking van. I've had many but am down to 2 junkers now.

An actual Super 60 bolts on our unique staggered bolt pattern manifold.

These were a Mopar Performance exclusive for our Engines only.

Beware there are many super 60 variations that have conventional bolt pattern.

FWD Performance or Turbos unleashed are vendors who cater to us.

They may be able to supply one or a member might have one stashed away.

Any issues with your cutout??

My Mitsus always overboost with a free flowing exhaust.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any issues with your cutout??

My Mitsus always overboost with a free flowing exhaust.

Thanks
Randy
Thanks Randy! Yes I learned very quickly (the hard way) that the cutout doesn’t agree with the Mitsu turbo. The cutout was actually already on the van when i purchased it. First time I kicked it down with the cutout open I hit the fuel cut out twice...... so needless to say it’s been closed since :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda slow around here eh? 150+ views 1 reply......

Anyway I did go ahead and order a stage 5 calibration from FWD.

Thinking of maybe a Super60 with a .63 housing for the turbo?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Very slow lately!!

A Super 60 should have a .63 housing as that's how they came.

Any I've seen have a polished compressor housing and a large can wastegate

The Turbonetics T logo is cast in the housing along with A/R .63.

Brand new ones pop up from time to time as folks have hoarded some away.

Thanks
Randy

Link with pics:

·
Legendary Driver
10,944 Posts
Gonna need to do more than a turbo to increase air flow into the motor. The van is heavy, and a box. So you have to get it going then the wind keeps you from going faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna need to do more than a turbo to increase air flow into the motor. The van is heavy, and a box. So you have to get it going then the wind keeps you from going faster.
Looks as if there’s certainly been more than one or two people to run 13s or faster in a van without much more than a larger turbo and supporting fuel/intercooler system. But yes I’m sure some port work would certainly make it much easier albeit more expensive though.

I don’t think mid 13’s is really asking for a miracle and pushing things to the extreme as it would be if I were trying to slap 30+ psi on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts