Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 89 Daytona Shelby with I believe a 2.2 T2. So, that reminds me, how do I figure out exactly what type of engine and setup it is?
The reason for this post is I am not sure what type/brand of parts I need and should go with for this project. I recently found out that I have cracked pistons and rings are blown. Is Sealed Power a good brand for the pistons and rings? I found a number on the piston, 533P STD. Is that what I need? Also, have no idea what kind of rings I need and is it okay to use the wrist pin clips again and rods?
Thanks in advance to everyone!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome aboard :thumb:

If your car is a TII, it should have an intercooler integrated on the side of the radiator. The airbox should have the intercooler hose running past the top corner of the box. And lastly the TII must be an a555 5 speed, not an a413 automatic transmission if its factory.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
if you have a tII and a 5 spd, you will also have a heavy front anti sway bar (1 1/2 inch) and a factory short throw shifter along with a forged crank.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
New cast pistons such as those from Federal Mogul will come with new wrist pins and new c-clip locks...unless you get forged and they will come with brand specific wrist pin locks. DO NOT buy any 'hyper' class pistons. In the Federal Mogul line the hyper class pistons have an "H" designation in the part number. The hyper types are for NON-turbo application only.

Dont reuse wrist pin c-clips. NAPA sells them over the counter and install them with the opening either up or down (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock.) From recent personal experience if you dont, they will break and pop out under boost and higher RPMs but it wont make any noise you will hear when it happens. The bad news comes later when the piston wrist pin starts hammering the cyl wall and has gouged a deep enough groove to cause that cyl to start loosing its seal and the blow by gets bad enough. The block is then trash if you dont catch it right away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for all of the replies.

I have been looking at Sealed Power...? Thoughts?

So, I do have a TII 2.2. That's good, right?

When I do in fact go to purchase new pistons and everything, how do i determine what size of rings I need? I am pretty sure everything is stock and not bored out or anything.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Good idea to take the engine apart first to see what is actually inside. Then take the block to the machine shop to see how far it needs to be bored to be round again..then let the machine shop tell you what size is needed, and they often will either source the pistons for you or you can get the needed size for them and they will cut/bore/deck the block to the proper size to fit exactly the pistons you get. Sealed Power are Federal Mogul pistons but materials and characteristics change so the actual size of the hole needed will vary based on the type and brand of pistons actually used.

For example, since a forged piston will grow much larger than a cast piston as it reaches operating temp, the bore needed is actually larger than if you were putting in a set of cast pistons. Also note that a piston measures one size at the top and a different size at the skirt. The bore is sized according to the manufacturer specs for that specific piston model, size and material.

BTW, with a good reliable tune the MAHALE factory piston is typically good and reliable to 20 psi. Problem is, they are getting impossible to find in any size except std size.

·
1,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Steven, do you know where I can find MAHLE pistons ? Are they better than the stock ones ?
If the engine has 30,000 miles can I use standard pistons ?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Id rather have a used mahle piston than any brand new cast piston, try fwd performance I believe they still can get some oversize mahle pistons for a reasonable price, i believe its the standard size that is hard to find

·
Vroom vroom.
452 Posts
Welcome! Cast is for little girls all bout that forged ! Lol jk :p

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Welcome To The Forum:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts