Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you get...

KYB GR-2's for $170 front and rear or,

Gabriel Ultra's for $140 front and rear?

Looking for nice street handling, nothing too uncomfortable. What have you guys had better experience with?

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
Had GR-2 front and rear in my Daytona. Floaty as they can be, the front lasted about 1 year before completely worn out. Upgrade the rear to gas-a-just, much stiffer than the GR-2. Upgraded to Koni front and rear, much firmer rides.

GR-2 does fine in my Saturn and GLH.

Personally, I wouldn't bother GR-2 if you have a heavy car, might as well stick with the stock worn one struts and shocks, because that is what you'll get in a very short time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, anyone else?

Youre about the first person Ive read about having any serious problems with the KYB's.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if nobody has any objections, Im probably gonna get a pair of Gabriel Ultras for the front tomorrow from Autozoo.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant really afford Bilstein at the moment. Theyre twice as much as the Gabriels. The ultras seem to be the "premium" lineup from them, they have the Guardians which are supposed to be oem replacements. The gabriels might not be as firm as I was hoping but they should be better than whats on there, especially the bent passenger strut.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put Monroe Sens-a-tracs front and rear on my Spirit R/T. Driven 24k in the last year and still work great. Definately firmer than GR2's but not anything like a good Bilstein or Koni.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got one of the new ones in, had a hassle with my dads junk harbor freight spring compressor. Eventually broke down and rented autozoos compressor. All was good until I snapped one of the upper mount studs off!:bang head:bang head:bang head

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a pair of strut mounts, both struts are good now. One of the strut mounts came with lower mounting bolts and the other didn't. Strange, they weren't supposed to have them anyway, oh well.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
good Bilstein
lol.. funny seeing those 2 words in the same sentence. The cheap monroe struts are as good as they are... probably better. Where do you even get Bilsteins anymore?

Definately Get the KYB Gas Adjust's for the rear.. Koni performance at 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
So nobody knows about the Monroe struts? I'm ready to buy my new suspension but I need to make a decision on my struts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm in the same boat, pulled the Shelby Z out of the garage for it's first drive today, reminded me I badly need new struts/shocks, went to go look for a good-handling replacement (want to do casual autocrossing with the car - stock shelbyZ springs and swaybars); but Bilstien and Koni discontinued on us! Sucks. I can get KYB GR-2s no problem at work but I've put lots of them on cars but never have been impressed with them.

What I might end up doing is putting KYB Gas-a-justs on the back and getting the Monroe Sensatracs for the front. I don't really know any more than anyone else on this, other than I hear the monroes have a good warranty (may look into that tomorrow). Also Sensatracs work best at stock ride height - they have soft valving right at stock height for decent ride but the valving hardens up as it travels out of that zone. So that might actually work out good for me. Strange things happen with sensatracs with cars that have been lowered/raised, however, so be aware...

James
PS: That makes FOUR cars in the family that need shocks/struts, ugh! ('91 Safari, '90 Mark VII, '99 Grand Vitara, and the '88 Shelby Z)...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts