Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John Brown, I am the newbie.

I know that this question has been breached before, I need to find someone with TRIED AND TRUE experience with a conversion I need to attempt.

I am building two (2) different engines for two (2) different Neons.

The 1995 SOHC Sedan, we will call it "EVLPEON", is going to be built for a local circle track class that requires SOHC heads only. My thought is either a 2.4L or 2.5L block w/ a worked SOHC head and 1995 Neon Cam.

The 1996 SOHC Coupe, we will call it "MINEON", is a candidate for a N/A NOS DOHC 2.5L conversion with a NOS brand Pro Fogger system.

These car MUST be built for less than $1500.00 each (Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge car)

I have a 1998 Stratus DOHC 2.4L complete engine/ wiring harness/ controls pkg.

I have a 1994 2.5L NA engine assy.

I need help and/or info and/or insight on what pitfalls each combo may encounter. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

JmfnB

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
HalFast_Racing said:
My name is John Brown, I am the newbie.

I know that this question has been breached before, I need to find someone with TRIED AND TRUE experience with a conversion I need to attempt.

I am building two (2) different engines for two (2) different Neons.

The 1995 SOHC Sedan, we will call it "EVLPEON", is going to be built for a local circle track class that requires SOHC heads only. My thought is either a 2.4L or 2.5L block w/ a worked SOHC head and 1995 Neon Cam.

The 2.4 block is a bolt on, the 2.5 block requires mods to work with the neon head AND doesnt bolt into a neon.

This is obvious, use a 2.4

The head? The new MAGNUM SOHC head from the 02 2.4's outflows the old SOHC and is a bolt on. Use it.

The 1996 SOHC Coupe, we will call it "MINEON", is a candidate for a N/A NOS DOHC 2.5L conversion with a NOS brand Pro Fogger system.

These car MUST be built for less than $1500.00 each (Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge car)

I have a 1998 Stratus DOHC 2.4L complete engine/ wiring harness/ controls pkg.

I have a 1994 2.5L NA engine assy.

I need help and/or info and/or insight on what pitfalls each combo may encounter. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

JmfnB
Once again, the 2.2/2.5 block does NOT bolt into a neon. Use a 2.4 setup with an '02 square exhaust port DOHC 2.4 head..

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worried about "Bolt in"

Thanks for the prompt reply!

We are not at all worried about a "Bolt In" swap. We a currently building a 1967 Datsun Roadster with a 550hp 418 ci Chevy, and a 302 Jaguar XKE.

RE: MINEON: Engine mounts and suspension layout are a minimal concern as opposed to shear output. I believe a Turbo style 2.5L bottom end would take the big NOS shot better than a 2.4L stock style P.T/Stratus engine, as it was designed for higher cylinder pressures.

RE: EVLPEON: I fully expect this to be a 2.4L car, the trick here is the SOHC conversion! If anyone has a "Recipe" for this one, it would be great!

I work in the salvage industry so the parts are relatively accessible.

JmfnB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts