Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I finaly did it..

I removed the air box plugged one vac line, added a breater filter,and now have an open K&N BUT for any of u who do this and live in colder weather I think the recomendation would be to keep the air box so in the winter (colder months) u can hook it back up so u can utilize the hot air rise through the box

Dave

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
thats because your suckin in all hot air....
on the dodge garage website it say it you just run the filter with the top you get too much hot air or sumtin...i duno....but alot of hot air is probly better than a little cold air.....i just took off the part where it drops drown and connects to the hot air and pcv valve....seems to warm up the same if not quicker and i thinks i can feel a power difference too.....i can definately hear it! i did keep that drop down part for the winter tho...

what were your relsults like? help any?

-Murphy

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
cold, dense air will give you more power than hot, thin air

just putting an open filter in place of the stock air box will result in sucking in all the hot air coming off the radiator and engine. this is one of the biggest mistakes in the ricer community, it only LOOKS cool! the stock system has the inlet out in the cold where it belongs, plus the air flows accross some sensors/electronics and keeps them cold!

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
On the L body 2drs the intake is behind the grille. If you close off the bottom and seal the top where the hood comes over the radiator support, you have a ram air setup. Since SCCA rules state that for IT classes the air intake may either be at the carburetor or the stock location. Guess wher the one on mine is?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
On the L body 2drs the intake is behind the grille. If you close off the bottom and seal the top where the hood comes over the radiator support, you have a ram air setup. Since SCCA rules state that for IT classes the air intake may either be at the carburetor or the stock location. Guess wher the one on mine is?
that sounds kinda sweet ya got a pic of this?

-Murphy

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is not covered on the bottom as of yet but that is the next plan.. and no I am not getting any junk in there

Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is only 1 2" hole that is open he rest is covered by the TBI plate and the moutn on the side

Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there u go I plan to make a thin plate to cover the bottom of the air filter for better sealing on the bottom

I also am doing a catch can for the open vent

Dave

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
just a thought but..... what if you somehow sealed all the way around that and left a space for a tube to attach to one end and ran the tube down to underneath the front bumper or to the grille? and put like a wide scoop on the end of the tube? kind of like they did on the w-30 oldsmobiles back in the late 60's. wouldnt that make substantially more power then sucking hot air from the engine compartment? just a thought.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I had read in a magazine article a guy with a pontiac tempest shimmed the hood so it gave him about a 2" cowl induction setup, this type of thing would be perfect for our cars since the TBI is back there and with that extra 2" or so of room you could make yourself a plastic (phenolynic is way too hard to spell) spacer to keep heat away from it and help with the flow seperation problem at the bottom, and also fit a modified air box somewhere up there to funnel all the good air in.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
maybe since my hood is a lil off from a accident i had last year ( you can only tell by looking at the grill...its not super noticable) ill get a new hood then take theis one and cut it up and weldsome stuff to it raising the back up a lil bit over the TB...than add a bunch of TB spacers and get some longer bolts to hold the TB on and have it high to the point where you can see the filter from the drivers seat and put up one of these metal block shields covered in heat resistant stuff to keep the heat away from the filter........this could work.......of only i could talk my dad into letting me buy a new hood......

now with the cowl induction does that suck air in from the back or is it like since air is flowing thru thaere its cooler?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm not super sure, I assume from the name cowl being the place where the windshield meets the firewall and induction to take in that it would take the air in from the cowl. I also know that the SS chevy's had a door that would open in the cowl when you floored it, looks like AMC's had it too. The other side of the coin is the nascar '70/'71 daytona and road runners. The had air vents on the fenders to let pressure out at 180mph so fresh air could come in. http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbird/images/plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg the bumps on the side. A new hood might be nice, but from what I read in the magazine the dude just put a bunch of washers under the bolts that held the hood onto the hinges. Even an inch is a lot. Take pictures if you wind up doing any of that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts