Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No dice. Diff head, manis and o2 housing- same turbo. Still dont think its the turbo. Had a real short trip to check it out. Roads are bad.

Idles and drives ok. Dont think timing is off by much if at all. Plugs are good, fuel pump/strainer/filter have around 2k miles.

Meant to unplug the line to the actuator, that'll be the 1st thing I do. That or try a different map sensor. Then swap in some other solenoids, put the old t2/2bar back in.

Can an issue with the map or controller prevent boost (even w/ no line to the actuator) and function normal enough to run decent and not throw a code?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,216 Posts
Nothing can prevent overboost with the actuator line off as long as the rod is connected to the wastegate arm to keep it shut and as long as the turbo spins freely. Only takes a half second for a mitsu to bring the boost up far enough to hit OBS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Argh. That confirms what I suspected.

When I first put a 2.5/t03 in the omni and got it running I'd just finished putting the FMIC on when it dawned on me I could take out for a spin. Forgot all about running a line to the actuator. Surprised I didnt break anything! Did blow the head gasket.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,216 Posts
Did you have over boost shutdown eliminated? Via calibration or a zener diode setup? Usually having the OBS set to cut spark at 14 PSI is pretty forgiving. Especially if you were intercooled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thats good to hear. Didn't trick the computer or anything and it was the stock T1 smec so I guess it worked as it should. Omni has a wiring issue of the fan not kicking on even w/ CTS unplugged so I let it warm to 165 before I got in it. Head gasket was probably on its last leg anyway.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts