Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the stock 2.5 non turbo, and me and my dad aren't gonna use the halfshafts. He said there won't be any vibration differences and it'll make the engine perform better. I want to know how much more power will I get from removing the halfshaft assembly and how much more (if any) vibration there would be? Thanks

G

·
think you mean the balance shafts. i thinks its like 10 HP? i removed mine from my RT and i didnt/dont notice any vibrations

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
The vibration difference is sometimes noticeable and sometimes not. I guess if you are used to older cars that shake a bit then it'll feel just fine. As for the power gain from removal, you may not notice it as much on an N/A motor. Power gains are circumstantial based on how the engine is running overall. What you will likely notice is a gain in throttle response (the engine will rev up and down a little easier). Just remember that if you remove the assembly completely, you need to plug the oil feed hole so you don't have pressure problems and you will need to run a little more oil (maybe 5.5 to 6 quarts). You could always just cut and remove the chain on the shafts and leave the assembly there. No worries about pressure loss and no extra oil needed.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I want to know how much more power will I get from removing the halfshaft assembly and how much more (if any) vibration there would be?
A lot of vibration. I have a rebuilt short block with weight balance pistons/rods. Vibrations like massage vibrator and you can feel it via the steering wheel with the stock replacement rubber engine mounts. My 80k stock 2.5L long block has much less vibration.

Great for track, miserable at daily driving.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
both the 2.5's I've built have had the BS shafts removed. No extra vibrations from doing so. My 2.2 T2 Auto buzzes more than the 2.5's do.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ive removed the shafts on at least 5 different motors tbi and turbos and its much more noticable on the tbi gives it a nice little extra top end power wich is welcome when youve only got 90 somthin to begin with although it does shake a lil more at idle, I am questioning the need to remove the shafts on a turbo car at this point the reduced vibration and smoothness plus the better oil control and stiffness from the b/s assembly might be worth considering since you can always make an extra pound of boost to more than make up for the 13 peak horsepower on the top end of the rpm range where a pound of boost will give horsepower all through the powerband

1 - 10 of 10 Posts