Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has informed me through his connections that Standard Motor Products will no longer be selling the ignition coil for the R/T or Masi cars. I do not know if anyone else is going to sell them, but the supplier that SMP uses will not be making them any longer either. Just an FYI. Buy them while you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly don't know. I'm sure there is some other coil out there that could be made to work. But, the exact fit OE unit will be unavailable. I did find out that the first generation Viper uses that coil as well. It apparently has 2 coils, this 4 pot unit and a 6-er. Dodge was so cheap sometimes. LoL.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well looking at a few places it looks like the neon coil would also be a fraction of the cost of the stock unit in addition to being more readily available. Which one are you guys that have made the change using? Or does it matter? Lol.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rock auto lists the same coil for the RT as for the 2.5 TI
Rock also lists the same radiator for a TI, TII, or an R/T. You have to be careful about buying stuff through them with our cars because they don't track every minor little difference (especially once things are no longer available anywhere).

How different is the Neon coil from the R/T or Masi unit? Is it just a case of swapping the connector and it works? I'm guessing the output is close enough that it's not a problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Neon Coil Pack substitute for stock R/T follow-up
What year Neon and is it the DOHC or SOHC or both ok?
PART # ?????
Thanks!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Same question(s) as mikeywk. What year(s) Neon's? DOHC or SOHC? The little I looked, seems like the Neon's 3 wire pig tail is cheap and easy to find. Is the R/T's 3 wire/4 coil connector the same as the O2 connector? Would rather make an adapter "wire harness" than splicing and such.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts