Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 dodge shadow es turbo
1,025 Posts
Are you disconnecting the wires from the coil when your checking their continuity? The coil should only be grounded when being fired by the smec. Is the battery voltage at the battery it’s self the same as the voltage going into the asd relay?
9.5 volts during cranking doesn’t seem unreasonably low to me.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So you currently have no codes?
Are codes the same when trying each smec?
Don’t assume the hep and or distributor is good just because your asd is functioning, these do turn on even before you crank the engine to prime the fuel pump in the 88/89 cars, this may be different on the newer cars I know my 92 has a separate fuel pump relay. To test this I would unplug one distributor plug then crank to see if you still have 12 volts at the coil, then try the other one, then both. Easy test but I would be interested in your findings.
Good luck, don’t give up success will come.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Still would like to know if code 54 is still present, and if so why???? Has anyone ever seen one of these car run with that code on?Not likely.
I might need to go out to my 89 and unplug the hep see if the asd still activates, just curious really, because I know it’s activated before cranking to prime the fuel.

I really hope that you can get this figured out soon, and hopefully you haven’t been getting faulty new hep’s, I’ve been there took buying 2 aftermarket ones before I spent the money on a mopar hep that actually worked but of course that was back in 05’ when they were still available. Anyways good luck, and try to follow NAJ’s procedures it’ll pay off.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A few times members of this group have had a car that was running (with other driveabilty issues) and set a Code 54, to this day I still do not know why or how, the only explanation I have is that stray voltage (from somewhere) is interfering with the and/or changing the sync signal the controller is seeing, sort of like an intermittent "hiccup". Remember, the controller only see's the sync signal one time per distributor revolution.
Good information, thank you

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So....in my post above I said that it was probably something simple as to why my car won't start and idle.
I had lost the ignition coil condenser (Capacitor) and when I did find it, I thought it was only for radio noise suppression.
Is there any possibility that not having this connected between the Coil positive and ground would cause problems in the ignition system?
Not likely, those are often not installed. I know I’ve never had one on my 89’, non issue.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Posy 47, Question 2e. "You verified that you have the correct distributor for a turbo car? "

Are the spark plugs fouled and/or is the oil fuel diluted?
Exactly he said not sure, hence the picture I sent
It’s got to be close now👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts