Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 Shelby Charger isn't getting spark. We had the car running for a few months last year. We hooked a live wire from the positive end of the battery to the positive end of the pick-up coil. Now the car won't start. There is no spark from the pick-up coil to the distributor. The pick-up coil is fine. The car has all new spark plugs and wires. Also has a new distributor cap. What could it be from keeping the car from getting spark. The car sat for a long time (7 years) before we bought it. I just want to know how to get the car to have spark. (I don't want the car hooked up with the wire anymore) It hasn't been fiddled with or anything. One day the car starts right up, but now it won't. Could it be a sensor or a wire? Please help or any info is needed.
Thank You,
Tyler

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
your computer controls you coil, so i would maybe try another computer, and a new coil possible as they are pretty cheap

·
Registered
80 Posts
Were you trying to say that you get spark with the jumper wire hooked to the coil, but not without? If so, its most likely a fault with the ASD relay. Its built into the power module on pre-87 cars, so the PM could need replacing.

Could possibly be Ignition Reference signal from distributor. Check codes after cranking. 11 indicates a problem with the ignition reference signal (hall effect) from distributor. There are two 3-prong connectors to check at the dizzy. If the logic module doesn't see that the engine is cranking, it cannot provide spark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wire that I hooked from the positive end of the battery to the positive end of the coil. I do not get spark with or without the wire.

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
That was not in my diagnostics.
Verify the ASD circuit is functioning by grounding the DB/YL wire in the diagnostic connector with the key on/engine off.
You should have power(12 volts) at the + coil, DG/BK wire at the injector harness and the fuel pump should run.

Do that and post back.

GROUNDING THE DB/YL WIRE IN THE DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR.
(your diagnostic connector should be located by the R/S(passenger)strut tower.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was not in my diagnostics.
Verify the ASD circuit is functioning by grounding the DB/YL wire in the diagnostic connector with the key on/engine off.
You should have power(12 volts) at the + coil, DG/BK wire at the injector harness and the fuel pump should run.

Do that and post back.

GROUNDING THE DB/YL WIRE IN THE DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR.
(your diagnostic connector should be located by the R/S(passenger)strut tower.)

We got absolutely nothing out of that. We hooked the wire up as the picture shows, and still nothing.

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
If you manually actuated the ASD relay and had no power at the...
+ Coil
Fuel Pump
DG/BK Wire at the Injector Harness

Your next step is to manually actuate the ASD and verify that there is no power at the ASD relay output at the PM 10 pin connector cavity #6.
If there is no output you need to verify all of your controller power feeds are present and all controller grounds are present.
(To PM, To LM, From PM to LM)
You need to check by backprobing those circuits.
You also need to verify no terminals are damaged/spread/pushed out.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
10 pin power module is located on driver side fender on the side of the battery

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the 10 pin connector, we are not getting anything out of the Ignition Coil Negative or the Ignition Switched Voltage & also The Alternator Field Control.

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
The ignition coil - and alternator field control are both internal controller grounds that are duty cycled by the controller.

On the PM 10 pin connector...
Cavities 2, 3, 4 are power feeds into the PM
Cavity 6 is the ASD Relay output to the fuel pump, injectors and + coil

On the PM 12 pin connector...
Cavity 6 is a 12 volt output to the LM blue connector cavity 2
Cavity 12 is an 8 volt output to LM red connector cavity 23.

On the LM red connector...
Cavities 7 and 8 are 12 volt power feeds into the LM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts