Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a newb and did read some of the other posts and the sticky about this issue but wanted to post anyway with the exact situation.

the head gasket finally went and thats when the start spark problem started. i replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor but still nothing.

i did read somewhere about the power mod being a possibility

also read about the codes but wondering how to check them i thought only obd2 cars had a dia port

could the head gasket failing have anything to do with this?

any help being pointed in the rite direction would be great

-thanks, bobby d.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
i am a newb and did read some of the other posts and the sticky about this issue but wanted to post anyway with the exact situation.

the head gasket finally went and thats when the start spark problem started. i replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor but still nothing.

i did read somewhere about the power mod being a possibility

also read about the codes but wondering how to check them i thought only obd2 cars had a dia port

could the head gasket failing have anything to do with this?

any help being pointed in the rite direction would be great

-thanks, bobby d.
Ok, we'll start off with codes.

To check codes, put the key into the ignition and you'll go ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. By ON, I dont mean try and start the car! Just turn the key so everything lights up.

After doing this sequence within 5 seconds, you'll wanna watch the check engine light blink a certain number of times. Each number you count is one a digit, so if, for example, it blink 5 times and then another five times, you have code 55.

Here's a link for more info.

1980s Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge computer fault codes

·
Registered
459 Posts
As for the no spark issue be sure to check the wires going to the pick up coil under the cap and rotor for any issues. And when you say no start is the starter trying to turn it over or you mean just no fire?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It does crank and I did have it fire (sorta) with the intake off sounded like it fired on 1 or so cylinders and was doing what seems to be backfiring up through the tb. But I couldn't get it to stay firing without being heavy on the gas pedal so I stopped trying.

I didn't check the writes under the dizzy yet but it sounds like a good possibility because the vc leaks oil something awefull so I guess that could be interfering with the dizzy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts