Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relitivly new to this whole 16V thing (bought a Spirit R/T a few months back) and I have noticed that it sounds like the lifters on my R/T are noisy. After the engine is warmed up I can hear chattering and ticking while stopped and idleing in traffic. Based on some other posts I have read it sounds like the lifters are a problem area on these cars? Are there any adjustments that can be made to the cams/rocker arms/lifters? I've heard mention of getting new Grant Racing lifters, but I figured I'd ask about adjustments before dumping $320 on a new set of lifters.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
168 Posts
csdodge said:
I'm relitivly new to this whole 16V thing (bought a Spirit R/T a few months back) and I have noticed that it sounds like the lifters on my R/T are noisy. After the engine is warmed up I can hear chattering and ticking while stopped and idleing in traffic. Based on some other posts I have read it sounds like the lifters are a problem area on these cars? Are there any adjustments that can be made to the cams/rocker arms/lifters? I've heard mention of getting new Grant Racing lifters, but I figured I'd ask about adjustments before dumping $320 on a new set of lifters.

Thanks in advance!

I'm with you.I've only owned my R/T for about 1 1/2 weeks now and I'm not used to the loud valvetrain noises of this motor.The loud chattering and ticking at idle or at a stop that you describe is right on the money with my car as well....it's a little unnerving.Is this something that we should be concerned with?

Frank

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You can pull them out and make sure they arent stuck at all. Be careful when doing this as there is a little metal disk above the lifter that can fall out. Also, be sure you get all the broken nylon pieces of the ring that holds the lifter in place out. The replacement lifters are much nicer than the OEM unit.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Well the valve-train in these cars IS noisy...bust mostly that's just how the car sounds.

Like has been mentioned already...the retainers help with this some as well as the new lifters. Just gotta have the dough to drop on these parts is all.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
mark grant and cindy both sell the lifters. I got mine from Mark about 6 months ago. Cindy was out of stock but from some posts she has made they are back in stock. She even had them on sale a while back. I bought the set before I pulled my valve cover. I only had one loud one. When I pulled the cover I found the pivot from one had fallen out. It was sitting in the head. It fell out because a mechanic that worked on it before I bought it left out the little disc mentioned in a previous post. The new ones are very nice.
Tim

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I'll have to pull the head apart eventually and just give everything a look.

On a side note, I just picked up another R/T this week-end! :D :D :D
Bone-stock red '92, 118,000 miles, and the engine is smooth and quiet! :thumb:

Hell yes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts