Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took a while looking, figured this might be the right place for this thread.... im looking to spray the intercooler with Co2. im planning on using a nitrous bottle and the solenoids for it then just running a home made "nozzle" made from some piping to go in front of the intercooler. where can i get the tank, lines, and solenoids for a good price??

·
Registered
768 Posts
how big does the tank need to be?? Can you just use like a C02 tank that they use for paintballs and stuff. They are carbon fiber, i believe... and they make them pretty big too.

The other plus it that you can get them filled up ALL over the place. (Dicks, Gander Mountain, ...)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not sure how big to get the tank.. its just to spray on the FMIC so idk if i even need much, but the bigger the tank, the less times i need to refill it.

as for kit vs. peices.... idk trying to go cheapest route. being that its all external, im not risking my motor so even if a solenoid or something stops working, its not gonna bother me too much. i dont really know what to look for as far as peicing a kit together.. if i could figure out a parts list, i would just buy parts here and there till i have them all. i looked at some tanks on summit but they look tiny like i'd use it a couple times and have to refill it. i want it to be able to last the trip to the track, the track, and maybe the trip home hahahaha. other than that, just summer fun.

any tips on size of tank and whatever else i'll need to set up a system just to spray the IC would be great!

thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldent use a paintball tank, they output at ~800-850 PSI, and fill to 3000/4500 (depending on the tank) all the 4500 PSI tanks are aluminum wrapped in carbon fiber and are not for CO2 use, only air/nitrogren.

I dont think you would get very far on one either... maybe a few in parallel though... but than weight would come into consideration... as the bottles are not light (the CO2 ones)

Hell i have a 4500PSI 68Cube sitting here that was just rehydrotested that i will sell to you ;)

(i paintball alot)

·
Registered
768 Posts
All he's looking for is a few >15 second runs or so. Worst case is that he has to switch out tanks every run.

IDK, maybe it's not a viable option...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Make sure the CO2 doesnt get sucked into the filter!

I have seen some videos using a fire extinguisher on the IC but would not recommend it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
What about water sprayers?? I think that they made a system from Mopar that did this to the SRT4. I don't know how much less efficient it is, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with and make. No high pressure lines, refills for free, a lot easier to make Just adapt the entire windshield washer system from any car...electric motor, two sprayers (on from each side), tank... Just run your own switch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What about water sprayers?? I think that they made a system from Mopar that did this to the SRT4. I don't know how much less efficient it is, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with and make. No high pressure lines, refills for free, a lot easier to make Just adapt the entire windshield washer system from any car...electric motor, two sprayers (on from each side), tank... Just run your own switch.
I believe EVO's come with IC water sprayers from the factory. IMHO, it's much easier to deal with water and it helps with the heat transfer off of the IC instead of just blast cooling it. Although I'm not sure how the drag strips feel about the possiblity of water on the surface (but maybe it doesn't matter to you) .

I bet you could get a windshield washer bottle and pump for 10$ from the junkyard. Add a hobbs switch and some wire and you're good to go. I'm planning on trying the same thing later on this summer since I probably won't have the cash to upgrade my intercooler.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Stay with a CO2 set up using a 10 lb bottle. I have seen guys flunk tech and not be allowed to race because they have to use the intercooler sprayer in view of teckie...if a single drop of moisture hits pavement they are not allowed to run. Every time a FAST car looses traction they nearly alwys blame "street" cars for moisture on the track and it don't help when idiots go down the track with their a/c on in Daddy's car! A lot of tracks do not allow you to get into the water box with DOT tires for the same reason.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so a 10 lb. bottle sounds like a good choice for me. im not too concerned about weight.. its a DD now and im not worried about the little bit extra weight, its still a fun car. besides i still have a full interior so if i was concerned about weight, it'd be the first thing to go. do i have to buy a co2 bottle from a speed shop or online? or do sporting good stores carry things like that?

and whats this tank from a fountain drink machine? how do i find one?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here is another idea.....I got this one from the Buick GN guys and I might do it on my SRT4....yoy simply use a huge tranny cooler and mount in front of your intercooler......run lines from it to a cool can (a insulated can that drag racers often use to ice down their fuel line before it gets to the carb) or better yet a mounted ice chest....put inline an electric water pump used for water circulation for fishing boat catch tanks (mine was a water guppie)....and simply run ice cooled water through that tranny cooler....kind of like a outer cooler for the intercooler!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts