Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a small hand full of Shelby cars in my day, and still own an 85 Shelby Charger now. However last weekend I purchased a FWD drive Mopar that is almost unheard of, 1990 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 turbo with a 5spd manual. I have seen a few turbo Acclaims but few and far in between, and never a manual. I have seen one 2.5TBI car that was a manual. Even to find this power train in a Spirit would be rare, but an Acclaim has got to be that much more unlikely. Any who, finding production numbers on this car has been near impossible, anyone who has some info or has seen this set up in an Acclaim, please leave me a note!

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
I have no figures on turbo acclaims, to have a look yourself see my Production Figures Database http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/386915-production-figures-database.html

I can tell you that I agree a turbo 5-speed acclaim would be of a rare breed, my guess would be only a couple hundred if that. I know for one year (can't remember) only one 5-speed 2.5 TBI spirit was made which is interesting.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
I just found a wrecked 2.5 TI 5-speed Spirit in the junkyard here in Richmond. Definitely not something you see on the regular. This was the first turbo 5-speed AA I've seen in person (not counting a couple of R/Ts). Would love to get my hands on one still in serviceable condition. Good find! We need some pics please! :thumb:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have no figures on turbo acclaims, to have a look yourself see my Production Figures Database http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/386915-production-figures-database.html
WOW....the first car that I gutted and started drag racing was one of 547 1981 Plymouth Euro Sedan models (Four Play)....and rarer yet is the 1984 Plymouth Horizon HO powertrained Matchbox...only one made with HO drivetrain, no AC, and radio delete...84 total built. Can you back up the HO powered Horizon numbers?
:shrug:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've been trying to find one myself. I'd really, really like to have one. I'd settle for a 5 sp turbo Spirit. I like rare cars like that--nothing special to the general public but still rare!! Let's see some pics. Anybody know where there is another please let me know.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
saw a AA body 8v turbo 5spd either 90 or 91 in the j-yard years ago. It was black with grey interior. Would of been a cool car. Had R/T/ES ground f/x. No spoiler though of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully these pictures will load. Here she is in all her glory! Gauge cluster is not original, i guess this car came factory with NO TACH! Typical arctic camo paint job from Chrysler Corp. I think she will clean up nice, make a great family/harass import car! Really would like production figures though...

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
while we are discussing rare non shelby production cars, I used to have a 1985 T-top Daytona, one of 397 made. Cars and Concepts modified it in 7 of 1985, but it was most certainly a 1985 car/motor. not an early 86.

I have pics of the interior and stickers from the door panel but not in my photobucket :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Not Shelby-very rare!

Seems like a perfect thread to ask MY question:

I have a line on a 1990 Shadow ES Turbo IV VNT. I owned one about a dozen years ago and at the time I heard something about a production number of 28 or so (just saw 30 as the database number). Maybe that referred to a Competition Package production figure. (yep)

In any case, this is an 80,xxx 3rd-owner car, 2-door with all options (a/c, power windows, locks, cruise, etc) and the intercooled vnt motor with a 5-speed transmission. Claims to be no-rust, the pics look VERY good. Seems like a fun car that I could use as my daily driver and occasional family transporter.

Asking price is $3800, it's been painted, needs freon (conversion and leak fix, no doubt) and he said probably tires and struts/shocks because it seems a little mushy.

Questions:
Does this have the 568 transmission that the Spirit RT's have?
Is this a rare enough car to increase the value significantly? (i haven't checked the database yet - sorry) (and i know "value" is entirely subjective) (ok - 141 produced - that's pretty rare)
Does anyone know of problems in general that the T-IV's are known for that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the database!

The VNT's are rare no matter how you take them, and many running VNT cars have been converted to a Turbo II. Problems with the VNT is mainly the turbo and exaust, I have read that you need the factory muffler for the VNT to work properly and avoid boost creep. The turbo itself I think the vains carbon up and the turbo looses it variable function. Other than the turbo the motor is as reliable as the Turbo II I believe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Someone wrote to me that this is an "AGS Competition Shadow."

I vaguely remember hearing about "AGS Competition" Shadow, but it's a distant memory. I read Dempsey Bowling's page - he wrote it back in '02 - and he described the option code as "ANA" and that the only "competition" shadows were bare-bones no-option cars (to remain light). I spotted something that yellonoma wrote in another thread that the ES Shadows came with the vnt engine as well, but did the ES Shadows come with the same hardware improvements that the "ANA" optioned cars came with?

Those options, according to Dempsey Bowling's pages, were described as: Special Sport Suspension (w/front and rear sway bars), Ultra High Performance 4-wheel disc brakes, "firm feel power steering" (higher steering gearbox ratio, I presume), performance exhaust and rear spoiler.

This car I'm checking out seems to be in excellent condition, but it's been painted and I can tell that the finish isn't as good as the factory (which wasn't stellar either), and he said that they didn't remove some of the cladding for the paint job. I can also see some surface-corrosion on underbody parts, and I'm worried that it might have worse corrosion in the UNseen parts. So I'm not so sure that I should be paying the near-$4,000 asking price. (It's been a northern car all its life, yet garaged and taken care of during winters, according to present owner)

And another question (if y'all don't mind) -- with the vnt computer being so specifically tuned for those variable nozzles, is it safe to assume that there aren't a lot of performance improvements to be had?

I thank you all for your attention and input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts