Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1469 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: L-body bumper corners

Workin on modifying an '86 Horizon. I removed a section out of the bumper mounts to bring the bumpers closer to the body. The problem is the bumper corners. The way they mount and the fact that they are plastic I can't really shorten them. I need ideas from fellow threaders on what I can do to cap off the bumper ends (i.e. mods to the originals,corners from another car that will fit, make my own..ect.) Any good ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
I've thought about doing the same to my omni as well. Judging from the gap between the front and rear bumpers, the rear one looks to be the farthest out from the body... so that's where I want to start. I think maybe only 1" would need to be removed to make it look much better. I think 1" wouldn't require the bumper ends to be modified at all - anything more and then it starts to get too close the the wheel well opening.

I was playing with the idea of cutting a 1" section out of the middle of the end cap and then plastic welding it back together.....leaving the end intact. To make it look better I think maybe that texture paint (the kind used for bumper covers and exterior trim) could be used to refinish them. Again, this is only speculation on my part - I haven't done anything yet - but thinking about trying it on some spare parts I have so I don't ruin my originals.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
I got an idea. what if you were to round the ends. cut the shape in the top and bottom of the bumper then use the front to bend around and tig weld it so you can sand shape and polish it to look factory. the end would look like a body formed aluminum bumper that follows the shape of the body.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I remember correctly I've sectioned a good 4 inches out of the mounts to bring the bumpers right against the body, so the corners are way too long now. I thought about the resection-and-plastic weld idea useing carbon-fiber vinyl wrap to refinish it. Is plastic welding even possible? How well does it work and how can I learn to do it?
I like the TIGing and reshaping idea but I definitaly lack the skills to do that! lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just make some new corners out of fiberglass and mold it all together for a crazy slick look, bondo hair works really good on joints. Just keep in mind that fiberglass doesn't like to stick to plastic.

S

·
0 Posts
Finally got the suspension all set up and she's back on the road... Not quite the norm for the TD crowd, but I dig it anyway ;)

SICK!!! This is such a good example of it being done right! I love how this car sits and how well the fitment is, awesome car!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Finally got the suspension all set up and she's back on the road... Not quite the norm for the TD crowd, but I dig it anyway ;)

That looks pretty cool, how about an overview of what you've done and the wheel and tire sizes?

·
Registered
313 Posts
That looks pretty cool, how about an overview of what you've done and the wheel and tire sizes?
Nope. It's a secret!

Just kiddin... Wheels are VW Corrado VR6 Steelies that i've been sitting on forever. They were only on a handful of cars since most Corrados were 4 lug, and most VR6 Corrados came with aluminum wheels. I had them widened from 6" to 7.5" in the rear (0 offset), and 7" in front (+13 offset) i know it's counter productive, but what can i say? i like the rwd staggered look.

To get it flushed out was no prob in back, since it was all in the wheel, but the fronts required a 15mm spacer, so i am running SRT neon ARP studs in front, which are the same pitch and knurl, but are about an inch longer. I just needed to grind a flat on the backing of each to match the omni stock studs and clear the knuckle.

Tires are 185/45/15's which I had to get form EvilBay, since no place in the states carries lowpros that small.

Thanks for the compliments guys :thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dart,

Tell me that thing is going to be out on Woodward this week and weekend!

So pissed I don't have my GLH-T anymore. Just not the same cruising in the truck.
lol yeah it's out and about. It's actually my daily at the moment. so you can catch me on 696 atleast an hour a day. :)

I had it out last Friday night and got the feeling the tuner kids had no idea what to make of it, hahah i doubt half of em knew wtf it was.... so i told em it was an SRTEvoWRXubishiGtSTI, then pulled out and got on it through first and second to let em know the deal.. With 284hp and the stretch on the tires it'll burn em off of it if i don't keep my foot out of it. :p

·
Administrator
16,492 Posts
hey every one i need help my 85 charger has the heater controls witth the vacume lines conector for the actuators for the heater box :( if you happen to have a picture of the connector wheere the hoses go into the controls i wwould be greatly apreciated!

1141 - 1160 of 1469 Posts