Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
This is the first Mopar I have ever owned, so I'm learning a lot in short order. It's a diamond in the rough (body and interior) but mechanically sound. Here's the scoop:
Engine rebuilt with around 500 miles on it
DC Supercharger (66 cu in) w/Weber 38 DGAS
DC performance rockers w/sintered iron rod inserts
DC performance intake manifold
DC performance camshaft, cylinder head & custom aluminum valve cover
K&N chrome air filter w/cowl
Mallory Unilite electronic distributor
Mallory active power filter
MSD boost control w/retard module
MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil
8MM Mopar spark plug wires
85 Shelby Charger radiator & fan
Flex-A-Lite variable speed fan controller
85 Shelby Charger A525 5 speed w/quick release heim joint
Turbo Flywheel
Hooker long tube headers
HiFlow Magnaflow cat converter
Cherry Bomb glass pack
3 gauges on pillar (B&M boost/vacuum gauge, Innovate wideband A/F ratio meter, tach)
85 Laser bucket seats (the're really comfortable)
...MORE TO COME

Pics: https://goo.gl/photos/H5w5PTc5amBGqHoW6

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
@ChucksterGLHT, @fixer28 thanks y'all for the kudos. I've been busy working to seal some leaks that rusted the floorboards before I get them replaced.

@corelokt that's a nice ride you've got there. Looks like you're ready for the track with all those stickers. After I finish the interior restoration I want to get those shift rods and the quick shifter.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
@Giersh, welcome to the wonderful world of the Rampage & Scamp. You will find this forum is among the best for learning and seeking help for your truck (yes, it is officially classified as a truck!)

There are several categories available. For what you're asking about, I would recommend posting in the General one that includes Exhaust. It sounds like you need to replace what sounds like a very poor bubble gum and band aid fix. I wouldn't want hot exhaust gases pointed at the fuel tank. Normally, the exhaust pipe extends to the rear below the bumper on the left side. Take it to an exhaust shop and see what they would recommend.

I would be very helpful to do a lot of background research so you can learn more about the Rampage and it's history. Wikipedia has a comprehensive page devoted to it. The more you Google, the more you will learn and see what others have done with their Rampages. Here's a page that is pretty thorough, this site is great for learning about the "trucklet" and it's 2.2L engine:

It's easy to become overwhelmed at first (voice of experience here). At least the engine is running and sounds like it could be drivable with a few proper repairs. The Rampage is a real head turner out on the road. Expect it to be confused with a Subaru Brat or a VW Rabbit truck. Once you learn up, you can explain why it's different...and so cool!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I have my roots in consumer electronics, installed and operated several CB radios, worked in a Radio Shack back when they had "The Wall", sold TVs,vcrs, camcorders, installed car stereos, worked for that little company formerly known as Compaq (watch Silicone Cowboys documentary), designed and programmed home automation systems for $1M + custom homes...

The Rampage is unique in many ways. The leaf springs for the bed were designed to hold up to 1\2 ton (though don't try that at home!). What makes them capable of so much speed is that most all the weight is at the front. With front wheel drive, that offers so much more potential. Omni's and Chargers would have to strip the back seat and such to even try getting close. Handling is not so good stock though. The trick is to "Shelby-ise" as much as you can. Rampage will interchange a lot of common parts with other L-bodys, like the Omni and Charger to name a few. However, the rear suspension is unique, for obvious reasons.

If you like taking things apart, first thing I would recommend is to rip out the ECU, all the pollution control crap, and while you're at it, take off the stock Holley POS carb and air intake/filter housing. Then get a REAL Weber 38 DGAS (there are some Chinese knock offs out there) with a jetting kit. Oh, and a nice K&N chrome air filter for the top. Start tuning with the carb, that should keep you occupied for a good while. Once it's running fine you should notice a significant difference with just that done to it.

Me, this is my mid-life crisis machine. I'm keeping it old school for the most part, sticking with a carb. Brings me back to my old muscle car days when I was a teenager. Go find my intro post down the thread back in May and you can take a look at my Rampage.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Wow! Guess necessity is the mother of testing the boundaries, silenceissad. You must be somewhere up north to be hauling all that firewood. Least couple of weeks were really rough on y'all. Guess you burned through enough firewood that you had to replenish. That camper shell is pretty scarce, bet it comes in handy in inclimate weather. Don't know what kind of wood it was, but I'll bet it was, but hardwoods up north tend to be a lot heavier. Carried back some cross sections from a maple tree from Minnesota all the way back to Texas. Man, those were some HEAVY pieces of wood. Turned them into end tables.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
silenceissad, I have a sliding rear window on my Rampage, but it was already installed when I bought it. I have a foggy memory of discussing this with 83scamp about a year ago when i posted some pics. It looked aftermarket, but I think he told me that the sliding rear window was a dealer option.

I can tell you for sure that ANY glass for the Rampage and Scamp is extremely difficult to find. eBay has some posts that have been on there for a windshield with outrageous pricing, and shipping. Do your absolute best not to break any of it, and don't get a Safelite, regardless if they tell you they can get one.

Here is a picture of mine, so you can see what it looks like. And NO, it's not for sale at any price!

https://goo.gl/photos/eocNrmoQ9Leh2mfG9

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Wes, I wish you a safe tour of duty. Let us know when you get back. You did a LOT of work in short order while juggling family and other things.

I can't help you with the engine you have. My Rampage has the stock 2.2L non-common block, but with a lot of mods to it. I couldn't help noticing in one of your pictures that the windshield wiper arms were all apart. Good news is that the nylon bushings are readily available to fix that. I had issues with my wipers working intermittently, and learned that the ground wire for the motor was faulty. Just run a wire strap or just a decent wire from the motor to a solid ground and that should take care of the wipers.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Before you start making a lot of custom parts for the Rampage, you ought to check first and see if someone else hasn't already done one that you want to replicate. Here are a few examples:

OMNI-Potent Parts, LLC Product Detail

Welcome to Poly Bushings.com

4th cylinder cooling adapter plate

https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/window-regulator/AM-598371334.html?m=92&y=1984

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ASQTS34GG/l-body-2-door-window-reg-pack?optionId=60569495

Turbo Dodge Parts

Rampage-Scamp Rear Window Trim

The door seals would be a good to replicate as nobody that I know of has done it yet, and there is a real need for this part.

There are prqobably more than what I listed here. If anyone else would like to add some helpful links for the Rampage/Scamp, please do so.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Wes, let me know when you start working on your headliner. That's near the top of my project list and I want something better for the interior lighting. Stock dome light sux IMO. The real challenge is that there is very little clearance between the headliner and the top of the cab. I really want to install a dome light close to the windshield that has map lights and sunglass holder. The assembly is about 3" deep though. I also want to put a separate LED dome light behind the seats to better illuminate the storage area there.

My glove box does not have any light installed and I don't think they put one in there from the factory for our trucklets. Gotta have that ashtray light though. There are several 12V LED lighting options that could be easily installed. Would just need a plunger switch installed to make it work right.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Engine needs rebuilt, auto trans, cracked windshield, dubious statements and who knows what else. There's a sucker born every minute!

I forget what that show quality Rampage sold for that was listed on ebay, the guy who got it posted here. But I'll bet it was close to the asking price for this one.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Wes,

I installed a lot of CB's and car stereos back in the 70s and 80s. Don't know what kind of head unit you have, but I'll assume it's a single DIN model. It sounds like it could be a short in the wiring between the head unit and speakers. Loose wires under the dash or loose connections on the speakers could cause that. You've got a lot of other priorities it appears, but when you're ready to tackle it, here's what I would recommend:

Get a pair of replacement speakers that you want to install
Pull the head unit and connect it to a spare battery to bench test it
Strip the wires from both speakers and the head unit
Just twist them together and make sure it's tight
Fire up that head unit and put in a CD (or cassette). Do not use the radio as the reception will be poor with likely static
If it all sounds good, mount the speakers in the doors and use terminal connectors that fit nice and tight. Use 12 gauge with mostly copper strands (cheaper wires have more aluminum), do not splice the wire between the speakers and head unit.
I highly recommend soldering the wires from the head unit to the speaker wires.
Use plenty of zip ties to keep them together along the run and find some other wires or supports under the dash to keep them from dangling. There should very little, if any, sway along the wire run.
Crank up them tunes, man!

As a side question, I would be interested in learning what you selected for your muffler and why. The exhaust system on my Rampage is a down the road project.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Sorry Was, I had assumed it was an aftermarket unit. That opens a whole different can of worms. The only experience I've had with them is when I pulled it out and marked the wires before I cut them.n

You're right, like your stock radio I'm keeping my stock 2.2L engine. I was just curious. Sounds like you have so e grand plans for your Rampage.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Welcome David (Hassle) Hoff to the wonderful world of the Rampage. I have an 84 myself, but it's far from stock. When I bought it, it had a manual switch under the dash for the fan. I wasn't used to that, and there were times I left it on and drained the battery, or the times the temp gauge kept climbing and had to pull over and pull a Homer (DOH).

I cut the switch and installed a Flex-A-Lite top of the line fan controller and it's so much better. Variable speed, temp sensor, and runs the fan Cor a short time after the engine stops to cool down the engine.

I wished there were more Rampage owners here in Central Texas. Must be all those wide open spaces up there.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
FELLOW RAMPAGE ENTHUSIASTS

I have just posted my 84 Rampage for sale. Please go to the cars for sale forum for more details. Message me if you have any questions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts