Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very good Wes! My are working but you never know when I'll need your method...

Couple of side questions for those that have AC in their Rampages:

Any luck in finding a replacement condenser?

Also, my 83 Rampage has a single aluminum bracket that holds the compressor and on the bottom
the alternator. There are 6 places where bushings/rubber isolators fit. I got 2 of p/n 4268074 but
it seems that the sleeves are too wide to fit inside the bushings. PolyBushings.com has alternator
bushings for 84 & up but I'm not sure if they would fit. Found Mopar bushing# 4556175 online but again
these may not work either. Anyone run into this problem???

By the way, I'm trying to do an original restore on my fun project!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
One more thing... One of my front springs has sagged quite a bit and I would like to level it out and get it back to the correct ride height. I can find struts, but none with springs. Before I buy shocks all around though, I wanted to know if I needed to convert the fronts to some other kind; like the neons or something. Or is there another make with springs I can order.
The parts manual shows different spring numbers depending on the transmission and whether it has AC. Looks like the
same numbers for Charger & Omni. Maybe a search for Omni springs??? I'm sure someone out there has better advice for
you however... Let us know what you find, I'll probably have to replace mine also when I get to the suspension!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just rebuilt my Holley 5220 and installed it yesterday. I've had a no start issue for
the last 2 months and thought it was a fuel issue. Dirty tank/lines (cleaned & painted).
Gummed up carb (from 16 month old gas). Rebuilt. Turns out dingle-headed me had
the crankshaft aligned at BDC instead of TDC. Car finally started TODAY after almost 18 months
of restore in my gravel driveway. Engine sounds fairly smooth but that might be me being
optimistic. No radiator fan coming on though. About to go out and check on it...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: wiring electrical for a 1984 Rampage

Hello
I have a 1984 Rampage and the electrical need to be redone. Someone directed wire the radiator fan to a switch in the cab. a wire keeps burning out. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know how to repair all the wires? Thank you
Welcome to TurboDodge!

So there's another Rampage here in Texas, very good. I'm east of Denton.

You're best bet would be to get the Factory Service Manuals (2 books):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chrys...=item2a8c64922b:g:UPkAAOSwR21ZzTHC:rk:46:pf:0

One of them (Electrical) has the wiring diagrams and also figures of the harness routing.
There's more of them on Ebay…

I had to redo my front harness and replace some wires and connectors. Spliced, soldered & heat-shrinked using the same color & gauge wire. Used split loom tubing (nylon not the cheap stuff, it'll melt) to finish it off as per the manual's figures. In hindsight I should have taken the harness out of the car and saved my back lots of pain! Be careful of the connectors, they're brittle. Clean all the contacts and apply dielectric grease to them. This may seem to be a lot of work now but it'll save you time later looking for electrical gremlins.
Good luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the '83 manuals but I believe that some things changed in '84.
For example, you can get codes by turning the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (not start) within 5 seconds and my '83 is unable to do this.
Check out this link for the Factory Parts Manual:

http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/84p.PDF

If you have any questions feel free to post them. I and others I'm sure will be glad to help!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used to live on the corner of Gallant Fox & 1826 just south of 280 west of Oak Hill.
There in Ft Worth? They've done tons of construction around there and are still at it. You wouldn't know which way is where now!

Hey, anyone know where to get the clips for the black metal trim that goes outside below the back window? A fellow member sold me the trim piece but I'm needing those clips...
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ok all you Rampage owners, please help me on the following:

Got my '83 without the storage tray nor the moulding underneath the window. Thanks to a fellow member I now have both. From looking at the parts manual and finding only 2 images on the net it appears that there is carpet attached to the rear body panel from the tray upwards to the moulding.

Is this correct?

If so, does the carpet have some sort of backing to hold it up? How is it attached?

Secondly, what about the jack instruction labels? Surely these weren't covered up or were they placed in another spot? But where? There isn't any other place that I can tell.

Trying to do a restore so any help or info will be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you guys!

So what about the "Jack Instruction Labels"? With the 2 tabs: does this hinge the carpet panel to access the labels? I'm trying to figure this out. Why would Chrysler cover up the labels? Of course we have asked many time why Chrysler did a lot of things! LOL

Have corresponded with Wes. He's still debating whether to make the clips with his 3D printer. He needs the clips also so hopefully he'll decide to do it...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Based on your pic John I'd say that those instructions were right where your picture shows them to be, under that carpeted cover on the bulkhead below the back glass. My Scamp never had them glued on there. I stripped the trucklet when I changed the color, NONE THERE BEFORE THE RE-SHOOT? Jer ... Still looking for that clip receipt?
So you didn't have any labels? Maybe they were removed sometime in the past before you got your Scamp. Seems all cars have them in one place or another. Maybe another owner will chime in???

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well now I'm wondering even more! My Rampage was a special order for the GSA. The Corp of Engineers used it somewhere around here, probably around one of the lakes that they manage. When I got my Rampage it didn't have the window trim, carpet on the panel nor the storage tray. There were some sort of electrical junctions attached to the back panel and a switch (like the old headlight high beam switch) in the floor board by the driver's left foot. Maybe these were for emergency lights or some sort of emergency equipment that the Corp used. Someone later put a carpet covered piece of plywood over the panel with 2 speakers installed. All of this I've pulled out now.

Either the Corp took out the trim, carpet & tray or Chrysler built it that way and put the jack instruction decals there on the panel. But if one looks carefully at the decals they ARE for the Rampage Model. So my question still remains on the location of the decals. Hidden underneath carpet? Might be so, where else could they be applied? Surely other Rampages/Scamps had them...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not this one I think John. With the help of a friend I Intercepted this one as it came into a wrecking Yard in Helena, Mt. on a rollback to be scrapped. My friend was in that yard when it came thru' the gate. Got the original Montana title that waz dated 10/82. that the owner had just signed off in July of 2003. I won't bore you with the whole story but I had it delivered to our home in Chelsea, Mi. 5 weeks later and drove it off the haul trailer, Jer
Well the mystery continues. Perhaps the decals weren't a required item on vehicles. Maybe Chrysler had a "dress-up package" option for the back that included the carpet & tray so no decals to waste money. I did notice that the bottom brackets for the tray have no holes drilled for the tray's mounting screws.

Ha! I've got a rare Rampage! Only one with jack instruction decals! :smile2:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think you just answered your own question John. I'm sure you can figure out where to bore the holes in the mounting tray brackets if the holes are already in the tray? You have one of 40,000+ 'Page's, plus another 4,100 Scamps? Damn, you won't even wanna talk to us regular folks, lol. I'm still hunting for my receipt for the new molding clips to mount the plate under the back glass. 7 of 'um if I remember rite? Jer
Yes, there's 7 of those clips needed. Look like little aliens with antennas! LOL

Now I need help to make a decision: should I put in carpet on the panel or leave the carpet off to show off my decals???:cool:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hello, I am not the most car savvy, and I think my egr valve is clogged, I know I need to remove it, and clean it, but I can't find it. Where is it located within the engine bay of the 1983 dodge rampage? Just point me in the general direction, and I'll be fine, I hope to learn more about cars by working on this one, so any direction will help, don't want to take off the wrong thing.
Welcome to TurboDodge!

The EGR valve is on the exhaust manifold. On the driver's side of the engine bay look underneath the carb which sits on the intake manifold which is over the exhaust manifold. Put plenty of penetrant on the nuts because they're probably rusted on good. Let it soak and soak then carefully try to remove them without breaking the studs. Be patient! You might want to soak them overnight...

Invest in some Service Manuals:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-DODGE...395968?hash=item546c402500:g:cfUAAOSwhlZYslMI

Also there is a Parts Catalog you can download here:
http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/83p.PDF

Any issues or problems just let us know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you so much! I'll let you know if it works and give more of a history of my rampage after I fix it.
We're here to help!

Post some pics when you can...

One question that you can help me with: Does your Rampage have carpet on the panel under the back window? If it doesn't, does it have the jack instructions labels? If you look at some of the previous posts you'll see what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Good luck with those rusty nuts & bolts!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought some rear window moulding clips from Altha Fastener back in 2012 for my '84 DC Rampage, the part number is: cp554582, and they are called "82-on Chrysler back panel moulding clip" they were $1.28 each then. I did a quick look on their site, but I couldn't find them, but at least you have a P/N to search...hope this helps.

Chuck
Bigbarneycars gave me the name of that Vendor and gave them a call. Unfortunately they're all out of the clips. The guy called someone else he knew and still no luck. :frown2:

Thanks for the part number! It'll give me more info for a search.

Take care!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts