Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I am not the most car savvy, and I think my egr valve is clogged, I know I need to remove it, and clean it, but I can't find it. Where is it located within the engine bay of the 1983 dodge rampage? Just point me in the general direction, and I'll be fine, I hope to learn more about cars by working on this one, so any direction will help, don't want to take off the wrong thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'Mornin' All youz 'Lil Trucklet Junkies. FYI for the New Guy TheTurtleyOne. Mother Mopar made a running change on the '83 'Pages/Scamps on the 25th of January 1983 to the HOOD,FENDER, A-PILLER JUNCTION of those 3 parts. If you ever need fender replacements for your '83 you'll need the build date of your Trucklet before you go shopping. BEFORE'S + AFTERS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE. Take your vin # to any Mopar Dealership and have them punch you # into their computer to get your build date. They call me Jer on the internet TTO, 1st names are allowed, and John you've met. Happy Trails Y'all, Jer:grin2:
Thank you for the advice, but I will try to not need to have any body panels damaged to the point of replacement, but thanks for the instruction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, I took off the EGR valve and sprayed it out with carb cleaner. It started up and ran. 10 minutes later I turned it off, then 20 minutes later I turned it back on, and it died on idle (this is the same problem it had before and why I cleaned the EGR). Does anyone know what is wrong? Or know a quick fix? Please let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just did that, didn't help, but many of the hoses have really shoddy connections, rag ties, electrical tape, loose hose clamps, no hose clamps, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a leak somewhere. The carb is clean though, so is the air filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, so. The story of my Rampage. It was purchased new in 1983, the owner had it for a few years and then it was put in storage when he went off to the navy. Years later he dug out the car and it became his summer project / weekend car with detailed notes of service and repairs going back to the late 90's, ending in 2010 with a new battery. In 2018 I saw it for sale on the side of the road, in need of a first car, I purchased it a week later. It is extremely solid and mostly original. With a broken radio and no dash lights. It finally passed inspection recently. I hope to have pictures coming soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow! A one owner car, good find! :thumb:

Have my instrument cluster out at this moment. Need to replace the rubber gaskets that go around the light sockets.
If your bulbs are burned out you can pull out the 2 lower plastic pins on each side of the bottom of the clear cover to remove it. Then pull out the wedge type bulbs to replace. If there's corrosion in the sockets then remove the 4 phillips screws to remove the cluster. The sockets can then be unscrewed from the back of the cluster to clean up...
Of course check your fuses first.
And careful with that speedometer pointer!

Pics Pics!!!
All The fuses are good, we replaced most of them (headlights and turn signals are important apparently) Thanks for the dash
light instructions, I need all the help I can get for this thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do your gauges work? Reason I ask is that there is a voltage limiter that outputs 5v to the fuel gauge & 12v to the ammeter, idiot (engine) light & cluster lamps. Could be a defective voltage limiter but most likely all the electrical contacts may need cleaning. For example, my right turn signal indicator lamp wasn't working due to dirty/corroded contacts on the bulb socket...
No, the gauges work perfectly fine, I think the bulb is just burned out, the turn signal indicators, check engine, etc. work, but the ashtray light and light that illuminates the dashboard is out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, do you think that if we were to make a subreddit about rampages / scamps that it would be better than this forum. I know that it was difficult, at least for me, to find the only rampage forum on the internet, tucked away on a strange website, I think we could let more people know about these vehicles and also be more accessible for people who own these strange vehicles, just a thought. If this post has a positive response I might start a subreddit.:grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts