Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Make it the official Rampage/Scamp thread, and I'm in. Need to get some pictures of mine to post. It will be more of a before picture, as mine is about to go in the shop for body & paint work. Doesn't look like much now, but it will be sweet when done.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
My rampage had fresh paint (2010 Viper PDR code) in Feb 2010. 2.5 TII, JE's, ARP, Steve Megegon big valve ported G-head, TU trannybuster E style w/3" sw, TU Header, +40's, etc.

With house work, life and othe projects getting in the way, I'm struggling to finish it before Carlisle this year. before and during shot.
Is that AA9 Charcoal Grey metalic your spraying? I ask because that's the color of mine. Now I have to take some pictures and post.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
OK, so there are several of us working on these trucks right now. Anybody found a source for the plastic trim clips for the black molding under the rear window? Last time I managed to save them, but this time, well... 30 years hasn't been kind to them. I shouldn't have any issue get clips that will work for the upper trim, in fact last time I found some GM(gasp!) clips that were perfect.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Way special hood ornament yeah got there Una:thumb:. I'd keep the transmission in park tho'. We should talk about your routing of the exhaust. How happy are you with that just below your left ear? I did it on my '61 Long Roof T&C sans 440+cross rams and I'm not sure I would do in again. The original AM, +AM,FM,CD,CASSETTE in the glove box + a satellite radio in the ash tray and all three are completly worthless when I'm runnin':bang head Great tunes when I'm sittin' but I'd need a whole bank of batterys to make sure I could crank it to again:brows:
I thought about doing the same with mine years ago when I rebuilt everything. I had the same reservations you do. Glad I found a local guy to bend up a custom 2 1/2" system all the way back. I started with just a glass packed muffler behind the header and pipe all the way back. After I rattled all the windows downtown doing a 6500 rpm power shift, I figured I'd better quiet it down before I got the cops all excited.:tsktsk-tisk: I ended up adding a Summit turbo muffler in the stock location, and that made it much better, even though it still growls.:thumb:

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
'Mornin' '83 Scamp. Growls? Rattles windows? That 440 cam is an MP purple shaft 286+496+286 with a Jack Rouch 2 1/2" reverse flows commin' out each side like the AAR. But I love it:D :brows:
Oh, I'm sure it doesn't growl as much as your 440, but it sounds way sweeter than any ricer fart can in town, I can promise you that!!!:thumb:

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Well, I finally took a couple of pictures. Not the best, but here it is. Like I said before the paint has oxidized, and it's going in the garage soon for bodywork & paint. It's a strong runner. 2.2 carb motor with a Mopar "767" cam, headers, ported head, and I shaved the block .030", and the head .015" to get the compression up about 10:1. It now has Poly suspension bushing, bigger Shelby Charger vented front brakes, I upgraded to a Daytona radiator to keep things cool, and an A-525 5-speed for better accelleration.

[/IMG]

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
What a couple fo days! Oh the joys of owning a 30 year old truck. I took the Scamp to work Saturday, and just after getting on the interstate, I noticed "smoke" coming out the back. Turned out to be steam...:eek:mg:

Well, I got off the road and into the local Home Depot parking lot to find a 1" blow out in the side of the heater hose from the intake to the heater core. Luckily, there was enough hose on the other side to bypass the intake and go straight to the heater core. Got me to work and home.

Anyway, I bought some hose, and did a real repair tonight replacing all those hoses so that everything in the engine bay has been replaced in the last 8 months.

I decided to take it for a drive and hammer on it a little to make sure nothing would blow off, and what a ride! I decided to drive out to an old road near me I hadn't drove in years. It's nick-named 13 curves, and for a good reason... Ever ran The Tail of The Dragon? Same concept except this one is only about 2 miles long. WHAT A RUSH!!!:thumb: I haven't taken a road like that, at those speeds in years. I'm still grinning from ear to ear! Anybody that says an old L-body can't handle needs ride with me on this road. I've got a camera mount, I need to run it again and get a video.

What an adrenaline rush. Definitely need to do that again soon...

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
AAARRRGGGHHHH:bang head. Just so everybody knows. The Scamp was completely gutted down to a bare cab, doors, and bed 2 years ago for a total re-do including a metalic color change. Both fenders, T-gate and the nose have been hanging on the wall since last October when the re-paint was completed and I won't bore you guyz with all the mods that have been added and installed into the little beast in those 2 years.THAT IS UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN I WENT OUT THERE TO INSTALL THE HEATER-A/C PLENUM AND SAW BOTH FENDERS ON THE CONCRETE FLOOR:bang head:bang head:bang headAAARRRGGGHHHH. I am so tempted to just send this thing to China and curl up with a case of good brandy 'til I can't see straight. This one ain't on the Murphy's Law List, whimper whimper. Jer
Wow Jer, that really sucks. Sorry about that. Don't loose hope my friend. Remember, there aren't many of us left. You need to save the old girl. It's just paint.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
It's just paint 83? Lemme see here now. There are no paint shops on my side of the planet that will mix any color smaller then a pint soooo, One pint of '89 Dodge Amethyst=$140.00. Another pint of '91 Chrysler Black Cherry, another $140.00. + two pints of reducer and luckily reducer is cheap compared to paint! Stir 'til in comes alive. 16 psi at the gun, 70* day last October I THINK, who knows what the humidity was that day? Chance of matching the rest of the car? MAYBE 20%:rolleyes::mad: AW H***, JUST DA THE WHOLE CAR WITH 240 GRIT AND START OVER:drinking: The last set of wheels I did took 22 yearz, I AIN'T GOT THE KINDA TIME LEFT ON THIS SIDE OF THE SOD:rolleyes: Got myself laughing anyway, Thanks guyz...BTW Normace, I gotta fix the Little Beast. No Body would give me what I've invested in the thing and my wife accuses me of squicking when I walk I'm such ah tight wad:p Jer
I understand the paint thing. I was trying to lighten it up a little. I'd probably drink myself into a stupor if I walked out and saw that too. So you're doing a two-tone huh? Definitely have to make time to come up and check that out.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
OK, how many of us are going to have our trucks at SDAC-23? I want to know if I even have a chance in the car show. Of course, between now and then I need to tear it down, fix the couple of rust spots, prime, paint and re-assemble. I've only got about 7 weeks.... No pressure.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
So, here I was Wednesday, first time I got the 'page up to 100km/hr (since I bought it late last year - 2012)

She is riding like a charm, runs a lot nicer at highway speed than around town LOL

And woah, the front right brake caliper seized on me :(
Got so hot, it discoloured the rim.

But, good news is, $68 for a caliper is so cheap (so I'll get both sides done to save me future hassle)

It'll be back on the road Friday :)

Here's the funny: I text the wife, telling her I'll be late because my car had to be towed
Her reply: Hmmm, Sorry to hear that LOL

I'm crying (inside), and she's laughing ;)

What a great feeling though, to get the beast out on the open road, I feel like a 16 year old all over again
During this trip I went to town to grab some moolah, and 3 people commented: awesome car !
Gotta love that feeling !
You can update to '84 K-car HD fronts for not much more. Get a pair of loaded calipers with mounting brackets & a pair of rotors. It's a bolt on. That what I did. Got rid of the solid front rotors, man what a difference it makes. I actually have confidence to stop now. You can do the whole conversion for about $100.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hmm, something to consider in the future.
Currently the Rampage has an 89 LeBaron Turbo Drivetrain installed, is the upgrade still applicable for that set up?
Normace, I think you are already have the better brakes. Sorry about that. From work, web sense blocks most of the pictures. I didn't realize you had already done the 5 lug update. Jerry PM'd me about it last night. One of the pitfall of replying like that. Still can't see pictutres this morning.

On another note, you guys can follow my project log here: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f279/479913-1983-plymouth-scamp.html I'm going to try and get bodywork & paint done before SDAC-23!!!

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
AAARRRGGGHHHH, MY EYEZ, MY EYEZ:eek: Just kidding Jetmugg. And I do like it but the peeperz did water just ah tad:D Betcha you're gonna be the brightest set of wheels on the salt:cool: We should talk some about the fun you had R&Ring the doors and playing with the roll pins like Upper pin up or down? Lower pin up or down? How many cuts to get the old ones out without screwing up the door inner skins kinda talk? And #2, What did you use for the gas door when you got rid of the bloody key lock? I got so Gawd awful crabby making two trips around the little beast for the ignition key every time I needed to fill up that I finally found a(I think) '96 Minivan gas door in the bone yard that was the same diameter but a PITA to cut and fab the hinge to get it to fit rite! Any, It sure iz green Man:thumb: Jer
Jer, you do realize that any key will open that fuel door? In fact, a screw driver will open it. It's just a slot. It doesn't have a tumbler in it. At least mine doesn't. Or is mine the odd ball?:D

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
hello im in search to buy another rampage. had a 84 and loved it. wife totald it and i cryed. lost licence for 10 years now have back. want old rampage back 4 my daily driver and fishing camping buddy. HELP!!!!!!! oh im divorced now lol:First TD: :bash:

Welcome to the forum! I have a friend who's seen one near Angola, IN. That may be a bit far from you, and I've not personally seen it, so I can't vouch for it's condition. I'll have to see if I can drive by and snap some pictures.

· Premium Member
2,514 Posts
205/60/15's fit on a scamp?

I thought 195/50/15 was the max recommended and 205/..50../15 was an absolute max that still rubs a little.
I've got 205/50/15's on Shelby rims on my Scamp, and I can fit my hand between the tire & spring perch, barely. Tight enough for me. The inside of the front drivers tire does rub the plastic splash shield over the transmission when I turn hard right. You can see the rub marks on the plastic.

I can tell you this: It made a world of difference in handling when I upgraded.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts