Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
You can check easily if it is your ECU by simply pulling the vacuum line, you car should run on base timing. If doing this does make your truck run smoothly, then that's your problem. When you unplug it, your truck will run kind of boggish, but shouldn't die. Based on what you are saying though you have checked alot of things, but I didn't see the pick up coil on your list of replaced items. This would be a place I would definitely check.

· Registered
44 Posts
Replaced the Hall effect, very lightly sanded on shaft and inside rotor for an excellent contact between the two..I did notice that in the rotor the piece that contacts the shaft comes around the plastic shaft and under the 4 metal pieces, where it goes under the metal it can be touched and it no longer contacts there but when you let it go it slides back under making fair contact ( where the copper slides under the steel part ). With the ecu hooked up the engine misfires while running and makes a slight dieseling sound in the block and when I pull off and plug the vacuum line going to ecu the dieseling sound seems to mostly disappear, runs maybe a hair better, but still is misfiring in a spitting sputtering fashion. I was going to buy a timing light and see if this reputable mechanic that set it might be wrong but looking in the timing window bumping the car over never could see the mark and the chiton book doesn't show what it looks like..FYI ..my first dodge..been a back yard ford minor home mechanic in my growing up years and this is becoming frustrated, all the mechanics out here look at truck like it was made at Ripley's believe it or not and love it but they are all willing to take your money to not service it correctly, even dodge dealer thinks it to be cool but say they don't remember how to fix the probs, that leaves me..lol..and the help you give which is always appreciated and I thank you.
The timing mark is very faint. What I did to find mine is take a piece of chalk and rub the places I thought it was. Once I found it I marked it with a paint pen so i could pick it up really easy with my timing light.

You know, this might be a long shot, but you could check your camshaft. When I bought my rampage I went to time it and to get to run right I had to set a base timing of 27 degrees! It should be around 12. Come to find out my camshaft had broken at the collar and rotated, making for some extra timing retardation. It ran with the timing being 20 some degrees off, but not smoothly. If I were you and running out of options, I would pop that valve cover off and inspect the cam thoroughly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts