Turbo Dodge Forums banner

301 - 320 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picked this scamp up a few weeks ago for $600 the guy told me it wouldn't start, I found a broken lifter and the tbelt was off 4 teeth at the crank. After I fixed that and two front brake hoses it runs great. It came with a tonneau cover Swiss cheese wheels and has a gt scoop on the hood

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice score. The hood scope is standard on the Scamp GT but the 4X100X14 Swiss Cheese are add ons and kinda special as you well know. Welcome to the party:thumb:, Jer

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
This is the first Mopar I have ever owned, so I'm learning a lot in short order. It's a diamond in the rough (body and interior) but mechanically sound. Here's the scoop:
Engine rebuilt with around 500 miles on it
DC Supercharger (66 cu in) w/Weber 38 DGAS
DC performance rockers w/sintered iron rod inserts
DC performance intake manifold
DC performance camshaft, cylinder head & custom aluminum valve cover
K&N chrome air filter w/cowl
Mallory Unilite electronic distributor
Mallory active power filter
MSD boost control w/retard module
MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil
8MM Mopar spark plug wires
85 Shelby Charger radiator & fan
Flex-A-Lite variable speed fan controller
85 Shelby Charger A525 5 speed w/quick release heim joint
Turbo Flywheel
Hooker long tube headers
HiFlow Magnaflow cat converter
Cherry Bomb glass pack
3 gauges on pillar (B&M boost/vacuum gauge, Innovate wideband A/F ratio meter, tach)
85 Laser bucket seats (the're really comfortable)
...MORE TO COME

Pics: https://goo.gl/photos/H5w5PTc5amBGqHoW6

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wildwest,
Congrats on the new to you Rampage, and welcome to the wonderful world of MOPAR! I see from your pics it also has the sliding rear window glass...very cool!
I have 2 Rampages myself, an '82 Sport with an'89 TII engine, and an'84 Direct Connection Rampage. The Rampage is a great little truck.
Enjoy,
Chuck

·
Registered
534 Posts
My Scamp. Weber carbed 2.2, SLH3 brakes, Polybushings up front, rear ones and their sway bar soon as well. A525 with ilikeshelbys shift rods installed, A520 going in with a direct connection level 1 clutch. Neon rims and seats.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
@ChucksterGLHT, @fixer28 thanks y'all for the kudos. I've been busy working to seal some leaks that rusted the floorboards before I get them replaced.

@corelokt that's a nice ride you've got there. Looks like you're ready for the track with all those stickers. After I finish the interior restoration I want to get those shift rods and the quick shifter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stickers add perceived horsepower.
Leaky windows seem to be the bain of the mini Mopar hardtops. We need a source of door seals.
I agree we need door seals, actually called: Roof Side Rail Weatherstrip - P/N 4198 966 & 4198 967. I've been looking for 1 or 2 good sets for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, everyone! I'm glad I found this forum! I have had a hard time getting information about the 1984 Rampage Prospector I've recently acquired. I'm looking forward to picking everyone's brains, on my quest to get this lil guy roadworthy again. It is currently "running," but the exhaust consists of inches of pipe bolted to the engine, pointed at the gas tank. I haven't gotten to do anything to it yet, aside from slapping a refurbished carburetor on it and cranking it to make sure it would actually crank before I paid the guy anything. I was unaware of these things before now.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
@Giersh, welcome to the wonderful world of the Rampage & Scamp. You will find this forum is among the best for learning and seeking help for your truck (yes, it is officially classified as a truck!)

There are several categories available. For what you're asking about, I would recommend posting in the General one that includes Exhaust. It sounds like you need to replace what sounds like a very poor bubble gum and band aid fix. I wouldn't want hot exhaust gases pointed at the fuel tank. Normally, the exhaust pipe extends to the rear below the bumper on the left side. Take it to an exhaust shop and see what they would recommend.

I would be very helpful to do a lot of background research so you can learn more about the Rampage and it's history. Wikipedia has a comprehensive page devoted to it. The more you Google, the more you will learn and see what others have done with their Rampages. Here's a page that is pretty thorough, this site is great for learning about the "trucklet" and it's 2.2L engine:

It's easy to become overwhelmed at first (voice of experience here). At least the engine is running and sounds like it could be drivable with a few proper repairs. The Rampage is a real head turner out on the road. Expect it to be confused with a Subaru Brat or a VW Rabbit truck. Once you learn up, you can explain why it's different...and so cool!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am pretty new to the whole mechanical bit. I've done my fair share of necessary repair work on numerous busted vehicles over the last decade or so, but it has been simpler stuff, for the most part. I have been a tinkerer all my life (disassembled my first electronic toy at age 5; a little driving toy/game, shaped like the front end of a Porsche 911 with a steering wheel, that had a set of rollers that ran a strip of canvas [with a road printed on it] in an infinite loop; when your little car-on-a-stick touched the wire at the edge of the road, it made an Operation buzz).

Beyond the drive to figure out how things worked, I only tinkered under the hood of my rides when they were broken. As such, I've not done any kind of performance-enhancement-related work before.

The TLDNR version is that I plan to use this Rampage as my first tuning project. I have read a bunch of reviews on them, from when they were in production, and it appears that they not only look neat, but are also pretty beastly little vehicles, that not only go fast-ish (when running right, of course), but also handle quite well.

Since they're such odd little things, and are apparently capable of rather impressive feats of performance in a few different ways, I figure this is the time to put my tinkering in action on a vehicle, instead of a MAME cabinet.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I have my roots in consumer electronics, installed and operated several CB radios, worked in a Radio Shack back when they had "The Wall", sold TVs,vcrs, camcorders, installed car stereos, worked for that little company formerly known as Compaq (watch Silicone Cowboys documentary), designed and programmed home automation systems for $1M + custom homes...

The Rampage is unique in many ways. The leaf springs for the bed were designed to hold up to 1\2 ton (though don't try that at home!). What makes them capable of so much speed is that most all the weight is at the front. With front wheel drive, that offers so much more potential. Omni's and Chargers would have to strip the back seat and such to even try getting close. Handling is not so good stock though. The trick is to "Shelby-ise" as much as you can. Rampage will interchange a lot of common parts with other L-bodys, like the Omni and Charger to name a few. However, the rear suspension is unique, for obvious reasons.

If you like taking things apart, first thing I would recommend is to rip out the ECU, all the pollution control crap, and while you're at it, take off the stock Holley POS carb and air intake/filter housing. Then get a REAL Weber 38 DGAS (there are some Chinese knock offs out there) with a jetting kit. Oh, and a nice K&N chrome air filter for the top. Start tuning with the carb, that should keep you occupied for a good while. Once it's running fine you should notice a significant difference with just that done to it.

Me, this is my mid-life crisis machine. I'm keeping it old school for the most part, sticking with a carb. Brings me back to my old muscle car days when I was a teenager. Go find my intro post down the thread back in May and you can take a look at my Rampage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

In July 2009 I purchased a 1983 Rampage with automatic transmission from a Chrysler employee from California. The car was garaged for most of it's life and is totally rust-free. It had a complete paint job by the previous owner in 2000 due to fading. Since I've purchased it I have:

-removed and completely rebuilt the engine (bored .020 over new pistons, crank did not need turning)

-installed new camshaft
-installed a new timing belt, water pump, and fuel pump

-refurbished sections of the seats

-bought, resurfaced, and installed 15 inch aluminum rims with new oversized tires

-fitted it with a Camero-style muffler with dual exhaust

-made a tonneau cover and had it fibreglassed & painted,

-removed the rear bumper and fibreglassed a bumper of my own design

All the modifications I have done can be put back to original if desired

I still have the original bumper and muffler (which was new), and the 14 inch rally wheels that were on the car when I purchased it. It had 119,000 miles on it and I've put another 10,000 on since I've owned it. I live in Ontario, Canada but the car has been garaged during the winter, only driven during the summer months and never in the rain. From an '84 Rampage I owned previously, I have two front fenders, complete wiring harness, rally style instrument cluster, interior door panels, tail gate, a few carburetors, and several other parts that would be included with purchase. I was an auto mechanic for 46 years (the last 30 of them with a Chrysler dealership). I'm getting to be an old boy and it's time to start selling some of my toys. I've invested about $15,000 CDN into it over the years and am asking for $10,000 CDN. If interested, please forward inquiries to [email protected]

Attachments

301 - 320 of 565 Posts