Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Official Rampage/Scamp Thread

120K views 605 replies 83 participants last post by  46066 
#1 ·
I've looked and searched and I didn't see one so let's make a official dodge rampage thread.

I love those little trucks

#499 ·
I think you just answered your own question John. I'm sure you can figure out where to bore the holes in the mounting tray brackets if the holes are already in the tray? You have one of 40,000+ 'Page's, plus another 4,100 Scamps? Damn, you won't even wanna talk to us regular folks, lol. I'm still hunting for my receipt for the new molding clips to mount the plate under the back glass. 7 of 'um if I remember rite? Jer

#501 ·
Hello, I am not the most car savvy, and I think my egr valve is clogged, I know I need to remove it, and clean it, but I can't find it. Where is it located within the engine bay of the 1983 dodge rampage? Just point me in the general direction, and I'll be fine, I hope to learn more about cars by working on this one, so any direction will help, don't want to take off the wrong thing.

#502 ·
Welcome to TurboDodge!

The EGR valve is on the exhaust manifold. On the driver's side of the engine bay look underneath the carb which sits on the intake manifold which is over the exhaust manifold. Put plenty of penetrant on the nuts because they're probably rusted on good. Let it soak and soak then carefully try to remove them without breaking the studs. Be patient! You might want to soak them overnight...

Invest in some Service Manuals:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-DODGE...395968?hash=item546c402500:g:cfUAAOSwhlZYslMI

Also there is a Parts Catalog you can download here:
http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/83p.PDF

Any issues or problems just let us know.

Good luck!

#504 ·
We're here to help!

Post some pics when you can...

One question that you can help me with: Does your Rampage have carpet on the panel under the back window? If it doesn't, does it have the jack instructions labels? If you look at some of the previous posts you'll see what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Good luck with those rusty nuts & bolts!

#509 ·
'Mornin' All youz 'Lil Trucklet Junkies. FYI for the New Guy TheTurtleyOne. Mother Mopar made a running change on the '83 'Pages/Scamps on the 25th of January 1983 to the HOOD,FENDER, A-PILLER JUNCTION of those 3 parts. If you ever need fender replacements for your '83 you'll need the build date of your Trucklet before you go shopping. BEFORE'S + AFTERS WILL NOT INTERCHANGE. Take your vin # to any Mopar Dealership and have them punch you # into their computer to get your build date. They call me Jer on the internet TTO, 1st names are allowed, and John you've met. Happy Trails Y'all, Jer:grin2:

#516 ·
I'll check on the carpet, the sticker is on the carpet like boot/cover over the jack.

I found out about the fenders the hard way years ago!!

But I thought the hoods interchanged.

What I'm up to is putting a S/C Turbo hood and nose on my 84.

I know that works but someone 7 hrs away needs a hood and nose for a 1982.

I told him my 1984 nose and hood would fit but now you have me worried!!

Don't want him to drive all that way for nothing.

I'm working on recreating my old Rampage that I regrettably sold.

Thanks
Randy

Attachments

#522 ·
So, I took off the EGR valve and sprayed it out with carb cleaner. It started up and ran. 10 minutes later I turned it off, then 20 minutes later I turned it back on, and it died on idle (this is the same problem it had before and why I cleaned the EGR). Does anyone know what is wrong? Or know a quick fix? Please let me know.

#523 ·
Try disconnecting the vacuum hose from the EGR and plug the hose. If the idle is unsatisfactory replace the EGR valve (per the FSM). However, the FSM states that after replacement and the idle still is unsatisfactory then you need to check the vacuum on the "ported signal tap". If greater than 1" Hg then check your idle set. If less then check the carb linkage & throttle blades for binding.

Are the vacuum lines in good condition?
Is the carb "clean", no deposits especially in the slotted port in the throttle bore? Vacuum passageways not clogged?

See what happens when you disconnect the vacuum hose from the EGR. If the idle smooths out, it's most likely the EGR needs replacing or could be just clogged passageways...

#525 ·
Get some new vacuum line and replace them one by one. The new lines shouldn't need clamps. You're probably getting some leaks which is affecting the idle & performance of the carb. If nothing else cut the end of the line off & reattach. This is assuming the remainder of the line is in good condition. Carbs are real finnicky about their vacuum...
Any Auto Parts store has vacuum line. Figure out the size and about how many feet you'll need and buy it "in bulk" from them by the foot.
Once you rule out the vacuum issues then the rest will be a piece of cake!

#529 ·
John meet Greg, Greg meet John. Greg is our Celebrity Scamp Trucklet Owner John. Look at his Avitar Pic then look at the Scamp on the top margin when you first click on the Turbo Dodge Site. I consider Greg among My Good Friends & Car-Buds on the planet even tho' we now live 1/2 continent apart. We've shaken hands ah few times over the last 1/2 dozen years or so. Both he and I have now made our Scamps go way faster then how Mother Mopar intended them to be when she brought them to life RIGHT GREG? He prefers to grab gears and I'm lazy, I prefer to let my left foot rest lol, Jer

#532 ·
When I was hauling a 440 back from Lansing, Mi. in my lil' scamper after a re-build at Muscle Motors up their and almost got EATEN BY A KENWORTH GETTING BACK ON THE FREE-WAY to bring it home. The decision was then made for me about more better acceleration. I know Mother rated the Trucklets @ 1152lb haul weight, But they don't like 750lbs of 440 on their back with a 2.2L carburetor hoffin' and puffin'. Way better with a 2.5L TII don't matter if you grabbin' gears or just stomp the peddle 'n go, lol. Jer

#534 ·
The worst that I'd be hauling would be some bags of fertilizer or some babes back to house! >:)

Decisions, decisions...
About the only thing the Scamp hauls anymore is @ss...[emoji48] and it does that very well.... I do haul a few things in it, but after recently purchasing a Dakota, I use it for all my truck duty instead of the Scamp.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

#535 ·
Decisions between Fertilizer and Babes John? Somebody take this poor mans temperature PAHLEEZ, lol Greg. You still have the pics of my Lil' ScamPage? If so send those to John (if you'd be so kind) along with some of that Beauty of yours and maybe we can get John thinkin' outside the box ah bit. I'd send 'um myself but you know how limited my 'Puter skills are? :grin2:Jer

#536 ·
Decisions between Fertilizer and Babes John? Somebody take this poor mans temperature PAHLEEZ, lol Greg. You still have the pics of my Lil' ScamPage? If so send those to John along with some of that Beauty of yours and maybe we can get John thinkin' outside the box ah bit, Jer
Hah! The problem is my Rampage is my 3rd wife. She costs a lot and I'm afraid how jealous she may be. She'll leave me stranded on the side of the road if I don't behave! :crying:

#537 ·
Finally got some last details done in the engine bay.

Before and after:

The hole in the Special Order Placard was from a PO putting in quick release hood pins. :frown2:

Attachments

#538 ·
John, nice work!

Any chance you could take a couple more pics please??

I'm replacing my 4 headlight nose with a 2 and am finding the differences.

The plate or bracket that goes from the nose to the rad support with the hood catch.

Mine doesnt fit and I'd like to see what the right one looks like.

Also 2 little brackets on each side of the rad that also go to the nose.

What do you mean about the hood pins??

LOL: Figured it out!!

Thanks
Randy

#539 ·
Thanks very much! Been working on it for 20 months now. No garage, car under a tarp in my gravel driveway (Why do we park in a driveway but drive in a Parkway?) so it's been slow progress with the weather. I'm actually hoping to get it out on the road this week...

Yeah, I'll take some pics for you. Raining today but suppose to be sunny tomorrow...

#544 ·
Thanks Randy!
Now I know the correct placement for the labels. Have to get the heat gun out to soften up the adhesive so I can remove them intact.

BTW, I cheated on my restore by painting the valve cover Mopar Blue. I have an extra cover that's black in case the "Concours Guys" come a calling. LOL Yeah, right!

#545 ·
The decals are just sitting on the fabric jack cover, it's a miracle they're still there!!

The jack cover must not have been removed many times over the years.

If you have problems getting yours off you could copy mine.

If you know anyone who could reproduce them I'd be happy to mail them to you.

I've seen so many blue valve covers over the years I thought early ones were blue??

I'm in the process of putting a SC nose on my 84 but missing a few parts.

I'm expecting an out of towner this Sat to swap my parts for what I need.

Getting excited!!

Thanks
Randy

#546 ·
I've seen so many blue valve covers over the years I thought early ones were blue??

Randy
Reading in Allpar, '81 was the last year of the blue engines...

Here's hoping that the weather holds up for you! The weather forecasters down here on Tuesday and Wednesday AM were predicting baseball sized hail in some storms that came through yesterday. Had a lot of people VERY worried! Luckily the front was delayed and only quarter sized hail in some spots. Nothing hit here so my Rampage sleeping under it's tarp escaped harm.:smile2: I gotta build something for my '80 tractor so the Rampage can go in the shed! :|

#547 ·
Ok, so. The story of my Rampage. It was purchased new in 1983, the owner had it for a few years and then it was put in storage when he went off to the navy. Years later he dug out the car and it became his summer project / weekend car with detailed notes of service and repairs going back to the late 90's, ending in 2010 with a new battery. In 2018 I saw it for sale on the side of the road, in need of a first car, I purchased it a week later. It is extremely solid and mostly original. With a broken radio and no dash lights. It finally passed inspection recently. I hope to have pictures coming soon.

#548 ·
Wow! A one owner car, good find! :thumb:

Have my instrument cluster out at this moment. Need to replace the rubber gaskets that go around the light sockets.
If your bulbs are burned out you can pull out the 2 lower plastic pins on each side of the bottom of the clear cover to remove it. Then pull out the wedge type bulbs to replace. If there's corrosion in the sockets then remove the 4 phillips screws to remove the cluster. The sockets can then be unscrewed from the back of the cluster to clean up...
Of course check your fuses first.
And careful with that speedometer pointer!

Pics Pics!!!

#556 ·
Hello fellas, I have been looking at an 84 rampage for nearly 20 years and it finally looks like the owner is willing to part with it.

Does anybody have any tips for finding replacement glass for tge rear window. Also any general knowledge about these cars would be appreciated.

Loved looking through the old posts and seeing the pictures.

#557 ·
Welcome to TurboDodge! :grin2:

You could get a replacement glass from a junkyard through car-part.com. I've seen a post where it was mentioned that one could be made since it's just a flat piece of glass. IDK...

I've got a '83 that I've been working on for almost 2 years, a stock restore. Any questions or issues, just let us know!

#559 ·
Hey, do you think that if we were to make a subreddit about rampages / scamps that it would be better than this forum. I know that it was difficult, at least for me, to find the only rampage forum on the internet, tucked away on a strange website, I think we could let more people know about these vehicles and also be more accessible for people who own these strange vehicles, just a thought. If this post has a positive response I might start a subreddit.:grin2:

#560 ·
For just Rampage/Scamp owners it could be an alternative site but how many trucket owners are out there?

Since these truckets are L-Bodies and the front half are exactly the same as a Charger, Omni, etc. any knowledge, help or assistance would be obtained by using this site. There are some very experienced people here that may not own a Rampage or Scamp but would be invaluable in repairing one.

Just my thoughts but more knowledge the better! :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.