Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the stock motor in my duster covered the rear of the engine in oil
think it happned when i was slowing down, the rear top pan vent is open but it looks dry. what could cause this i cant oil coming from any were, else, its all over my bonnet makeing e think it came from the reartop pan vent

· Registered
9,531 Posts
well put a hose on there and jam a spongie thine inside (or aim it into a catch can) and you can find that out easy :p

Stuff normally sprays out that vent on my stock motors...yet nothing sprays out on my built motor...which is why my engine problems are so annoying to diagnose.

With a totally blown motor on my spirit, the catch can blew up from the force of air/oil that expelled from that rear vent and oil was everywhere.

Im guessing you have the PCV system no longer existing with your intake.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
if its a light glazing its probably the pcv if not going into the stock air box anymore and just a tube, if alot its time for a compression test. bad rings possibly.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
My spirits old motor did have some blowbye and thats what would happen. The current one....has less.

Easiest to put a catch can on for now. I just have the stock airbox sponge stuffed into the end of the hose and the hose aimed at the valve cover so if it makes a mess...its on the valve cover.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
My spirits old motor did have some blowbye and thats what would happen. The current one....has less.

Easiest to put a catch can on for now. I just have the stock airbox sponge stuffed into the end of the hose and the hose aimed at the valve cover so if it makes a mess...its on the valve cover.
What year was you spirit? When I had my 1992 lebaron convertible bought with 154k on the clock didn't ever get the stock breather filter and air filter dirty even when I sold it with 180+k! Now my 1990 Daytona which was bought with just less than 90k (with replaced Valve stem seals) had always found not only the breather filter clogged but about half the stock air filter was always covered when doing maintenance. I'm wondering if was was the heads. I'm sure now I'm getting good blow-by cause even see smoke coming out the oil dipstick tube when the car is running (just gonna need those 10:1 pistons soon enough ;) )!

· Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd put at least an aluminum can under the tube to catch the oil. Do remember, the rear exhaust manifold isn't very far away, and oil is FLAMMABLE.

BTW my brothers Shadow has something like 250k miles on it....and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Other than a tiny seep from the rear bank driver's side cam seal, it doesn't leak either. The motor has never been opened, there isn't a tool mark on any of the bolts other than the timing cover. My Duster, with 80k on it......leaked like a Congressional investigation. Argh.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
What year was you spirit? When I had my 1992 lebaron convertible bought with 154k on the clock didn't ever get the stock breather filter and air filter dirty even when I sold it with 180+k! Now my 1990 Daytona which was bought with just less than 90k (with replaced Valve stem seals) had always found not only the breather filter clogged but about half the stock air filter was always covered when doing maintenance. I'm wondering if was was the heads. I'm sure now I'm getting good blow-by cause even see smoke coming out the oil dipstick tube when the car is running (just gonna need those 10:1 pistons soon enough ;) )!
The spirits old motor was diagnosed with blowbye when it had maybe 65,000 miles on it. My parents were told they should replace the motor. When I got the car, it had 90,000+ and still was able to run a [email protected] at sea level.

But when i blew up the motor and had a stocker delivered to my house for 500 bucks. The same motor went faster at high altitude with a stock flywheel/bad stock clutch that slipped on shifts...so I finally believed that the old motor had blowbye. When I pulled the motor apart, the blowbye was obvious on the pistons.

The motor probably always had blowbye because it had bad ring seal from the moment the first owner had the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.