Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old air filter used with the turbo valve cover, stock turbo PCV system is used. 2000miles or so. This filter been outside the car a while and put next to grease parts but you can see where the filter is soaked with oil.

Old air filter used with the TBI valve cover and oil splash guard, 1500miles or so. NO oil catch can is used!!! One nipple for the PCV and one for the fresh air let that connects to the airbox.

Oil free air TII box. Don't mind the debris, that's why the air filter is there!

Under the hood pictures.

TBI valve cover and its oil splash guard is great mod to prevent oil all over the valve cover, air box, engine bay, and on top of the transmission. Don't even need a oil catch can.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
they made a cast aluminum version of the valve cover too. Pretty sweet. Looks like the air box has a hole in it? That would remove suction to the hose too if it is open.

·
Registered
264 Posts
He inspired me to do it. I am running a catch can though. Nothing has accumulated in it for 250 miles so far. Great addition. I have the aluminum valve cover. It is awesome, a definite reccomendation.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I run the splash guard and the stock Turbo VC labrynth vapor seperator on my one engine. It works great! I think I'm do it to my '88 too as it has mroe of a reason to have that in there. You have to mod the splash guard to run with the stock Turbo VC though..no biggie, just have to make room for the vapor seperator...nothing some tin smips can'tt ake care of! :thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
After I read this thread I thought I'd try to find one of the aluminum TBI covers. Made a visit to the boneyard today and got a nice aluminum valve cover and splash shield off a '94 Acclaim. Total cost: $2. I figured it's something to play with later if I have a PCV problem. If I don't use it, I didn't waste much $$.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just so you guys know with a little modification to the stock Turbo valve cover you can install the TBI oil skirt under it.

Basically you remove the oil baffle off the back of the turbo valve cover, and grind off the ribs on the inside ceiling.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
^^....or you can cut the skirt so the baffle can be left on and run the skirt AND the baffle! Done it...works great!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old air filter used with the turbo valve cover, stock turbo PCV system is used. 2000miles or so. This filter been outside the car a while and put next to grease parts but you can see where the filter is soaked with oil.

TBI valve cover and its oil splash guard is great mod to prevent oil all over the valve cover, air box, engine bay, and on top of the transmission. Don't even need a oil catch can.
I have a 88 daytona shelby z with a cast valve cover, had it since new (21 years now) and have always had problems with oil in the air box. I did at one point have the pipe from the valve cover going to a hose that just ran to the ground since it always got oil in the air box, hoses and intercooler.

well i just put in a new turbo after the car sat for 4 years in my garage because the original turbo had an internal oil leak and started smoking really bad. It is back together and I have it all plumbed like it is supposed to be-and am getting oil in the box again (on my K&N). I found online a Chrysler TSB about a fix that involved replacing the nipple on the valve cover. I ordered it, and when I removed the cover and took out the baffle plate, saw that the nipple I got was exactly the same-so I cleaned everything up and installed the new one anyway. The Dodge dealer also ordered me a valve cover gasket (one piece), and I installed it-it gets worse here, since the one piece makes the cover look like it does not 'sit down' on the head. I tried to carefully torque it evenly, to get it to sit flush on the head, and it, being cast, broke the cover on the left rear corner. I bought some high temp epoxy and glued it together again and went to an Advance auto and bought a new gasket (again, rubber one piece) and this time I did not crank it, but just seated it. It does not leak. I don't think I have solved the problem of oil getting into the air box since nothing has changed. All I managed to do was break the cast cover, and even though it is not leaking, I want to replace it.

What year cover do I need to look for? What gasket should I get with a cover that does not get oil into the air box? In looking at your photos, I see a tube up top that goes from the intercooler to the throttle body and it has a small air filter on it and some sort of vacuum diaphram-what is that? Also, there is a vacuum line from the top of the throttle body to the air box-mine in capped (been like that since new)-why is that vacuum line tied into the air box?

I started an earlier thread here with some of these same things, the only other subject i want to solve in the near future is, with the new turbo and wastegate, I only get about 5-6 lbs of boost, so I have a bleeder valve set up and am getting about 10-12 lbs of boost-but I hate that I have an open vacuum line going to the wastegate. I'd like to get that figured out too, but the oil in the box gets fixed first-along with a new valve cover.

Anybody having ideas, items to sell to fix or information, thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I once had a turbo where the oil return line had a nipple on the side of it. instead of an oil catch can, it just ran into that. worked flawlessly. as soon as I can get off my lazy butt, I'll get one welded onto my new turbo line and let yall know if it works.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
^^^ just like they did at the factory in the later years. The 1990+ 8v 2.2 and 2.5 turbos had this provision in the oil return pipe. To use a garett turbo, you need a different oil return pipe. The only one that exists in factory form would be the VNT oil return pipe. Fits a garett turbo and has the extra nipple to drain the PCV oil back into the crankcase.

But then, some are worried about dumping "used" PCV oil back into their engine. Boo hoo. I am up to 156,000 miles and that PCV oil return hose has been attached from day one.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
the pics are still up on turbo - mopar dot com / forums / showthread.php?t=23885

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Been running a TBI w/curtain for awhile now and I have one observation that I think is worth noting. It seems to me that the curtain is a restriction to crankcase pressure flow. Even though you have two outlets to atmosphere, the curtain obstructs flow enough to make cam seals seep a little at higher boost levels (20+psi). Now, I grant that my rings might be going away ... but on the 1-10 blow-by scale they are nowhere near "done" (135psi cold compression).

I never encountered this with the way I fitted a regular turbo VC. It has a single vent point stock but I always included a top vented oil cap. There is only the little partial splash shield below the oil cap. I'm not 100% sure that the TBI curtain can be modified enough to eliminate what I'm seeing ... at least not enough to both improve ventilation flow and keep the two vents on the TBI VC shrouded enough. YMMV

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I'm thinking that since the curtain is a full cover drilling opposite the vents won't do too much. Problem, I think, is that the underside of the curtain is seeing most of the pressure first then working around the sides toward the vents. Simply windowing the curtain left and right of the vents might help but then there is that chance of oil passing right through too.

Gonna give this some thought before I turn the curtain into swiss cheese.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts