Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my head gasket this week and when disassembling my airbox i noticed oil in my airbox.....alot of it. my filter was soaked and it didnt stop at the filter it was further in the turbo where the turbine is (is it supposed to be there??) and other places in pretty damn sure it wasnt supposed to be. It seems like somewhat of a common problem and ive already done my homework and read up on what yall did to handle it. I also read a fix on allpar.com ( http://www.allpar.com/fix/pcv-breather.html ) and it explains a "solution" on here but it seems kind of complicated for me. Now for my questions...If i used the water bottle method and just caught the oil before it reached the airbox...am i loosine any power or performance or anything by disconnecting hoses going to the airbox or is it just there for envirometal purposes...also with all the oil caught in the bottle, can i just pour it back in to the oil, or is it no good after going through that...what the hell is a baffle i know of a few junkers around here i think i could get one if i knew what it is, i would like to solve the problem, not just a quick fix, but if its practical to just do the water bottle and im not doing ANY harm to my engine, its cheap and i like that, thats why i bought a 89 caravan for 100$. so just one more question, if i do the cheap water bottle method, exacly what hose do i have to disconnect and put in a bottle, and what side of the line...sorry for writing a novel and being so stupid, but i figured i was gong to the right place for help thanks!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
there was a kid in my class that has a jeep with a 2.5L. he was also complaining about the oil in the airbox. i told him to go to that site, and he set it up on his jeep. he said it works just fine! also, it didn't do anyhting bad to the engine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Try taking the valve cover off and re-siliconing the baffle to the inside of the valve cover. 2 10mm bolts hold it on. It worked for me. Use a lot of high temp silicone. Be sure to clean the baffle and valve cover before you put it back together, otherwise the silicone won't stick.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
When I ditched the airbox setup in my Daytona, I just ran the hose that was going to it down to the street, kind of a downdraft tube style thing. Works great, and they say the oil under the car is supposed to help prevent rust. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah.. BTW... That's alot more oil than you should EVER have.. Either the baffle plate flat out is missing inside your valve cover, or you have a hole in a piston.. Check your compression.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
gracias

thanks for all the fast help, im tryin to re rtv the baffle today...hope it works, if not ill do the bottle method, if still no good, ive put way too much time into this 100$ minivan and i will be running it off a 7 story parking garage! thanks again for the help

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts