Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back for the best advice I ever get. I love this website, it's helped me keep my van going and going. Right Turismolover22? Ok, question. I have a very small oil leak, either from the crankshaft or camshaft, can't tell exactly because of oil mess on undercarriage. But if I take off timing belt cover, I can see small leakage on side of engine. I've had a few people tell me to put some Lucas stop leak in motor. I'm really reluctant to do so. Because most of what I know about cars I learned from my Dad, who was old time truck mechanic. But was a great mechanic and he always told me never use additives to stop leaks. What's your opinion? How bad does it leak? Mainly when I'm working, which pretty much keeps car going for about 7 or 8 hours. So, if it's hot out and about 70 miles in 7-8 hrs. City driving back and forth. 1/4? of a quart, just depending how hot it is outside. Winter not so bad.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Sounds to me like your cam and crank seals are leaking. Not uncommon on these engines, especially with age & miles. I just replaced the ones on my Daytona a week ago. They can be done without removing the engine. Took me about 4 hours. You do need to remove all the accessory drive belts and crank pulley to do it. Make sure when you put it back together you get the engine timed right before putting the timing belt back on. I had my cam retarded 2 teeth the first try. It ran, but was gutless. I had to take it all back apart and try again.

The seals should be available at any local auto parts store for $4-6 each.

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
Clean the Entire engine(OK to do so with the upper timing cover removed) and undercarriage so you can see if the oil is leaking from the Top(Cam Seal or Valve Cover), Middle(Head Gasket) or Bottom(Oil Pan or Crank Seal).

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
I personally do not use any additives for oil, trans, P/S, cooling system even though many people do and there are many on the market.
My experience is that there is no magic cure in a bottle and I would only use one if it were the last resort before an expensive/time consuming repair.
The only additives recommended and sold by Chrysler and GM are Fuel Injector Cleaners and Top Engine Cleaners.

All a stop leak does is soften and swell the seals, all of them so will that create more problems...???

If you are going to try one I would recommend Lucas

I would still recommend cleaning the engine and undercarriage or you will not know if the leak has stopped.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Additives are a waste of time and money. Its better to fix the problem rather than create another problem. Everyone tries to take the easy way out but it never works. I've been there myself. Like NAJ said clean it, find the leak and fix it. This is what I call a gravy job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts