Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is doing some trans work on my TIII Daytona, and he noticed oil leaking from a plug in the head. It is located above the power steering bracket. He tried sealing the plug with teflon tape, but it is still leaking. Anyone have any advice for this situation?

Thx

·
Banned
414 Posts
ah ok, the top core plugs are coolant issues, and so is the one on the bottom of the head. Jackson will probably chime in on that one, ive never heard of any issues with oil leaking out of the head. coolant is pretty common though lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah ok, the top core plugs are coolant issues, and so is the one on the bottom of the head. Jackson will probably chime in on that one, ive never heard of any issues with oil leaking out of the head. coolant is pretty common though lol
My engine was built by Jackson so hopefully he will save the day. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's most likely the rear valve cover gasket leaking. The oil runs down the head and drips off that plug. Seen this happen a few times.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's most likely the rear valve cover gasket leaking. The oil runs down the head and drips off that plug. Seen this happen a few times.
Thanks for the info, Adam. But my buddy told me he monitored the leak with a borescope and saw oil weeping from around the plug after he tried sealing it with teflon tape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am working on my TIII head and it also leaks from this threaded core plug. I am trying to find an aluminum plug but not having any success. The steel plug has damaged the threads I think.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am working on my TIII head and it also leaks from this threaded core plug. I am trying to find an aluminum plug but not having any success. The steel plug has damaged the threads I think.

Currently working on a new batch of aluminum plugs for the lotus cast heads and some early Dunns with the m26x1.5 thread. Expecting to receive my order in 5-6 weeks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased an aluminum oil pan drain plug. I chased the aluminum treads in the head damaged by the steel plug that almost cracked the head. All this was done with the head removed: 1. clean the threads. 2. I filed down the surface of the head so the plug seal washer would match nicely. 3 Finally I added special primer and aluminum thread sealant before inserting the new aluminum plug.

I've had the car about 20 years and this horrible oil leak has finally stopped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the response. My plug is literally dumping oil out of it and is pretty well stripped out. I'll have to take the head off to properly fix the problem.

Think there would be any issue with welding in a new aluminum plug?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know about welding the head. It may over heat and damage it, warp? crack? It may not bond. Can you not tap new threads and seal with an aluminum plug?

Know any expert professional aluminum welders?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts