Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
First is port also the sensor? If so, should I just replace that also? .................... My friend is helping me do this and were hoping to fix Monday. I hope he can do this with no problems.
Here are some photos of 2 different "TREES"

Hopefully you can see these photos

Is your friend mechanically inclined? Does this friend have internet access to see this site? Can you work over at their house for an hour or so? It should not take but about an hour...depending upon your wrenching abilities..... Just don't break the TREE off in the block or you won't be driving home anytime soon.

Good Luck on your repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, he's done work for me before. Will show these pics to him. Thank you. But so far light hasn't come back on. Its toying with me. Lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Didn't forget to update just haven't been able to get to car. New fridge and central air conditioning have both gone out. So spent most of week with repairmen. Hopefully I can get to it next week. But light has not come back on. Later.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
But light has not come back on. Later.
Does it come on with "KEY ON - ENGINE OFF"?

If so, then it means that oil pressure is building enough to move the switch contacts inside the pressure switch.-- kind-of ok
If not, then it means the oil pressure switch is just stuck at the OFF position or the wire is broken somewhere. -- NOT OK at all.

Does it come on with "KEY ON - ENGINE OFF"?

Good luck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, the light has been coming on at key on. the oil light is going off in a timely manner. Everything seems fine there. As I said earlier, light seems to have been toying with me. I would not drive it if I had no light at all. Why it did that a day or two, I don't know. But will still change Sun. or Mon. To be on safe side.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So with the stated 10 psi per 1000rpm, hot idle at around 800rpm can be below 10psi and thats okay?
Its OK but not best. A bottom level I'd like is above 30 PSI at idle and more than 70 at 7200 RPM. But 10 PSI at idle is enough oil film between the crank and the bearings assuming like 5W30 oil is used. 20W50 and 10 PSI at idle is not so good, too loose bearings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've noticed once hot the oil pressure is a tick under 10psi at idle on mine (aftermarket gauge, saw the same on the stocker).
Figured its good to ask what to expect to see if we are telling the OP to install a gauge :)

For my car I'll be changing the oil again soon and maybe go a little heavier in weight, it was changed recently but already looks bad because one of the prev owners let it sludge up a bit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK guys, normally I run 20/50 in summer if I can get it. I think I have small leak near crank or camshaft. Winter 10 or 20/30 or 40. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
By the way where's Turismolover22. I'm surprised he hasn't responded all week, seeing he's worked on my van. Is he on vacation? Lol. T22 where are you?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Its OK but not best. A bottom level I'd like is above 30 PSI at idle and more than 70 at 7200 RPM. But 10 PSI at idle is enough oil film between the crank and the bearings assuming like 5W30 oil is used. 20W50 and 10 PSI at idle is not so good, too loose bearings.
30 psi hot idle? Who's rebuilding your motors because I'd like to learn their secrets. I've never seen more than 20 psi of hot idle, and that's on a freshly rebuilt motor. With any kind of higher mileage, 10-15 psi is the norm.

I've found my engines seem happy with 10-40, summer or winter. Definitely don't use anything 0w-X or Xw-20. The clearances in these motors are much larger than modern engines and you need the thicker oils to fill the gaps. I've heard of some people running a 50 weight year round.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I have a question then. What weight oil should I put in my van? I was thinking of using 20w50 for winter and if I can get straight 40 in summer that's what I use. I have a few little leaks, I believe coming from cam or crankshaft seal. I have a 2.5 turbo caravan, so what's my best bet?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I run 10w40 all year. Granted, we don't get quite as cold here in the mid-Atlantic as you do in Chicago. But, it should still get the job done. In the really cold months, you could go to a 5w40 maybe.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts