Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand New motor with 1100 miles on it. I already cracked piston #4 and put a new piston and rings in there. Now #3 is reading 105 on the compression with oil coming out of the spark plug area under 18psi. It is enough for oil to run down the block. The rest are 120 across the board which I think is low for a new motor.

Does this sound like a broken ring or busted piston. The dipstick doesn't pop up, but sometimes I am spraying oil out of the BOV again meaning I have pressure down low.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
If oil is coming down the plug, I would say your valve cover is leaking, there is no way oil is coming up the plug and out from the chamber. 120 is a little low for a new motor but if your cam timing is out, that will affect it.
105 in #3 means you probably damaged that cylinder also. I would give it a few more miles and recheck!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
wow, someone else with a similar problem....i have expiriences this phantom, "oil out of #3 spark plug" as well....Unfortunaly i came up with no better answer. i am positive that it was not coming out of the valve cover....i taped a piece of paper towel across the valve cover seam, went for a cruise, boosted around a bit, and the towel was dry, but sure enough there was a small pool around the base of #3....i never really worried abotu it after giving up trying to figure it out, but i think i may have finally come to a decent conclusion after tearing my car apart to change the headgasket....i put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in the hole for the factory sending unit, and the plastic tube/flare didnt seal well, and i beleive at high pressure it may have been able to squirt out and up into #3....im just guessing though, and i guess i wont know for sure until i put the car back together and make sure that fitting isnt leaking....if the oil comes back maybe a tiny crack in the head is the answer?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
puppet said:
... this the same #3 right behind the dipstick?
Yeah, it has to be coming out of the dipstick or the base of it. Mine is a new unit, but never really bonded with the block well. Compression was 120 cold last night.

The motor was broken in on 8 psi for 400 miles. Then I started raping it. It will either hold or it won't. Cast Pistons too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts