Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driven today, and my power loss light came on, looked at my gauges and my voltage gauge was pinned...then it went back down to normal, im assuming thats the voltage regulator, but then i got home and poped my hood and there was oil on my intake manifold and some on my VC. it came from the breather filter, i know that, but what do you guys think it is? my pcv valve? or what? its an 87 TII shelby daytona

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I was driven today, and my power loss light came on, looked at my gauges and my voltage gauge was pinned...then it went back down to normal, im assuming thats the voltage regulator, but then i got home and poped my hood and there was oil on my intake manifold and some on my VC. it came from the breather filter, i know that, but what do you guys think it is? my pcv valve? or what? its an 87 TII shelby daytona
OK ... what breather filter are we talking about? Not stock ... how did you hook this up? Need details.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because i got rid of the stock airbox, i did what everyone else does, put a small paper filter on where it comes out of the VC

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
because i got rid of the stock airbox, i did what everyone else does, put a small paper filter on where it comes out of the VC
Alright ... how is it all connected? VC to Filter to PCV? If so, that filter is probably clogged up good with oil. Intake can't pull pressure out of the crankcase. Or, VC to filter to atmosphere? Same problem will happen. Filter won't allow pressure to escape to atmosphere. A smallish paper filter will only last a few weeks under either of these conditions .. before they're saturated.

How is it all hooked up?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, im gonna try to get my h ands on a compressino checker today, but somethign else i also noticed (my friend pointed it out) when i shift from second gear, i smell a faint smell of oil, and he pointed out that he could see black smoke (from oil) inside hte car when i shifted from 2nd gear, its real t hin, and is only around the gauge area on the dash, any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would definately get rid of that paper filter if you are getting oil blowby... once that paper gets soaked with oil it is a huge fire hazard. Get a stainless mesh one instead.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
=[ bad news,
1- 119
2- 123
3- 120
4- 90
....so looks like i need to rebuild the engine, im thinking its time for forged rods/pistons...this is gonna hurt my wallet =\

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know why i didnt think of this before... but what about the headgasket? is that a possibility? I didnt really look for signs of that because i wasn't thinking of that...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Pressurize the cooling system and let it leak down. It will not 100% guarantee a headgasket failure, but it's a roll of the dice and better than assuming.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Here's the old school, no-tools-required, blow-by test. If your PCV valve is hooked up right you should have a slight vacuum in your valve cover while engine is running. This gets rid of fumes & blow-by in your crankcase.
To test this, with engine idleing,in neutral (or park for auto's), remove oil filler cap in valve cover, and place a piece of paper over oil filler hole. If paper is blown off of hole you have too much blow-by. You can probably feel it with your hand or see smoke coming from hole in V.C. or dipstick if it's that bad. Number 4 cylinder doesn,t get the cooling the other cylinder's do so is usually the first to go. Too much boost, goes lean, ring lands in piston or rings themselves let go. I learned that the hard way in my first GLHT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts