Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I put a new oil pan gasket on my car a while back, and had some minor oil leaks after that hehe. I continued driving it cause it's my only car (that I own). well anyways, the leak got worse and I started leaking a BUNCH of oil out of the transaxle side. I just pulled the pan and I can see that oil was finding it's way out pretty much everywhere. Almost all of the gasket has a film of oil on it, I don't know if this is caused by blow-by or what. My dipstick has never popped out and I'm not getting any oil through the PCV. But anyways, what's the best way to seal the gasket? Silicone? Or some other sealant? Anything helps...oh ya, it's a 4 piece gasket if that helps. Thanks.

Zach.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like to let my oil pan gasket jobs to sit overnite draining...

I hate the 4piece jobs, but the best gasket sealer i've used so far is Ultra grey from permatex, the right stuff prom permatex works nice also, I used that to seal up my 525 after shift fork pad surgery and all has been well..

other than a 1 piece gasket ? I've found that silicone gasket sealer tends to fag out under hydrocarbon rich oils..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! Did they make a 1 piece gasket for my engine? When I bought a new one, the only gasket that came up was a 4 piece.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
make sure it's 100% clean of anything before you seal anything. I used a bead of Permatex Ultra black on my oil pan and it worked great, not a drop of oil. The gasket is too easy to mess up and develop a leak IMO, and the oil pan is not something I would want oil coming from unless I'm changing the oil.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think the 2.5l oil pan gasket is a 1piece job , but i think the early 2.2's were all 4 piece , ULTRA clean work environment, let it drain LONG TIME , clean every bit o silicone out from the end plates/ seal retainers , and poo as usual.

2 DO NOT OVERTGHTEN IMEDIATELY , let it set for a few mins, 30 is good, and then lightly snug everything together , and after it's set give it another LIL tweak, then add oil and proced as usual..Make sure the gasket dosen't squeeze out from the pan rail, also to much sealant will make it look sloppy !

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
That's a Fel-pro gasket Mudman. It's blue ... works OK .... but it's $40.
One tip I'd give for installing one (*if you go this route) is to use the Ultra black on the four corners .. where the retainers meet the block .. and "handy wire" the gasket up to the block where you can. Get the pan up and run a couple bolts in. Snip the wires and get the rest.

*After about three or more times into the bottom end the gasket will probably have broken at a corner. I'd really recommend the Mopar retainer ends and permatex the rest. That'll save you $25 easy.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I'm not sure what the "Mopar retainer ends" are. The gasket I have is blue except for the ends. Which are black. And of course is in 4 pieces.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you get the felpro gasket it comes with install tools that screw into the corners and hold the gasket in place for install. Much easier than trying to hold up 4 separate pieces and then put up the pan.

Benji

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
well I'm not sure what the "Mopar retainer ends" are. The gasket I have is blue except for the ends. Which are black. And of course is in 4 pieces.
The rubber ends you get at the dealer. They fit under the seal retainers. There are two retainers ... one is called a front seal retainer and the other is a rear seal retainer. They are cast aluminum and can be found at the front and rear of your engine. :p

... and IMHO it's not stout enough for me to part with another $40. After time, heat cycles, they leak too. The guy that invents the oil resistant double faced caulk strip will die rich.

Problem with their "tool" benji is that they only work taking the pan straight up on the pins. I've always had to tip my pans in place. Wires work better ... bt,dt.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh well my gasket came with those plastic clips. They helped a lot actually. I guess I'll just try reusing my gasket but use sealant this time hehe.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, so I finally have enough time to do this today. I have my ultra-black. But I just have one more question. The rubber seal on the front (passenger) side of the engine doesn't have anything to keep it in place like the driver's side. How have you kept it where it needs to be so I can just slide the pan straight up and not worry about it?

Thanks again, Zach.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well under closer inspection..."new" gasket's corners were cracked and ripped. So I got that one piece, dear god...it looks like such a better piece than my other one. It has metal strips in between the gasket on the long sides. I think this is going to work much better hehe. Thanks tryingbe!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so I just put the pan on tonight, letting it dry overnight. I got my fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ARGH!! I did everything I was told, and advised, I got the 1 piece gasket, I got the ultra-black sealer, everything was so clean you'd think it was new! I put the pan on and just barely tightened it, then let it set. After that I tightened it to torque spec, then let it dry overnight. When I started it up today, everything was fine...until the oil heated up, then I had leaks everywhere. the fastest one was leaking out and dripping off that "ear" on the gasket that sticks out toward the back of the car. I just don't get it, and I'm so tired of problem after problem, If these annoying little problems keep happening, I might just sell the car and quit turbo dodges for good. This is just ridiculous!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts