Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered a few days ago that the exhaust manifold had some oil sitting on it. Every now and then while it's running It'll let out a small puff of smoke from the area of the manifolds. (externally) I'm pretty sure there are oil passages behind the bolt holes for the manifolds but am not sure which ones. Anyone know for sure which ones? I need to get this thing sealed.
BTW it's not coolant, I'm 110% sure of that. I spent probably an hour trying to find a crack in the head somewhere while it was running on the lift and i was under it. Nothing- and you really can't see it from underneath when it happens either.
No smoke out exhaust, no oily plugs.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yeah at least one of the manifold studs goes into the oil passage, not sure which one though, maybe tomorrow I can dig out an old head and tell you for sure.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've got another casting here but it's never been run so I can't tell if the passages are coolant or oil. I know if it is the stud/ bolt leaking it's by cylinders 2 and 3 and it gets on the ex. mani and not the int. with a mirror I could tell that the upper hole for #3 was wet and it ran down some from there (the stain) but cant quite tell if it's coming from the intake hole that's right by there. Kinda difficult to manuever the girlfriends 3 foot mirror to just the right angle... P.S. don't tell her I had it out there... :laugh:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have just answered my own question... It looks as though the only ones that DO enter a passage in that area are the ones to the left of each of the intake runners. I guess I know what i'm doing today... :bang head Correct me if I'm wrong but the lower holes for the exhaust mani are coolant, so these should be oil? (as they line up with the cam towers, which would make sense for oiling)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
87shelbyt2 said:
I may have just answered my own question... It looks as though the only ones that DO enter a passage in that area are the ones to the left of each of the intake runners. I guess I know what i'm doing today... :bang head Correct me if I'm wrong but the lower holes for the exhaust mani are coolant, so these should be oil? (as they line up with the cam towers, which would make sense for oiling)
yes, those intake bolts enter the head bolt bosses in the head.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The lower exhaust manifold studs enter the coolant passage, but the top ones don't enter anything. Intake manifold bolts don't enter anything at all.

This is, at least, my experience with the heads I've used.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
782 head with squirters. Those holes definitely enter something. Their not bottoming like the rest of them. And it's the same hole in each runner...

yes, those intake bolts enter the head bolt bosses in the head.
After re-inspection you are exactly right. Thanks! Those have to be sealed well, correct? I'm pretty sure this is my leak :bang head

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
in my experience(which has been short, but repetitive, lol) i have'nt had any leaks. nor have i used any sealing agents. with that said, i have read alot of people on here having issues with some leaking. wether it be coolant or oil. teflon tape should be fine, especially since we have steel bolts/studs going into an aluminum head, which the two metals corrode and basically weld themselves together.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
im not positive, but ive heard that you shouldnt use teflon tape on anythign but pipe fiittings, i cant remember exactally why...although i am interested in what if any sealant should be used, since i am in the process of reassembling my engine and would rather not find any leaks and do it all over again...

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Adam is right, the lower ones go into the coolant passages, the upper ones go into the head bolt passages and can leak some oil.

lebaronguy2001 said:
im not positive, but ive heard that you shouldnt use teflon tape on anythign but pipe fiittings, i cant remember exactally why...although i am interested in what if any sealant should be used, since i am in the process of reassembling my engine and would rather not find any leaks and do it all over again...

Your are correct, don't use teflon tape, its sucks. Use liquid teflon sealer on the bolts, and you won't have any leaks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... Pulled out the suspected culprit after hosing it all down with brake clean, and watched the oil leak out and down the exact same path that was stained. Nailed the problem the first time this time. I hosed the bolt off with some more brake clean (I just like the smell) then coated it in liquid teflon sealer and stuck it back in. 200 in/lbs later and it's all good. Except I now noticed the coolant feed to the turbo (braided kit for t3/t4) is weeping at the center section. Dammit! that's a little more difficult to reach. Once I fix that and the stupid plastic capilary tubing for the oil pressure gauge all should be sealed. For now.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
hey where do you guys get liquid teflon sealer?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
heh heh...yummy....and good for sealing too..ill have to go find some today....ill probably get yelled at making sure then stuff im buying smellls like pine needles....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
loctite high temp thread sealer?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here, and I used the same stuff on the coolant feed fitting at the center section and it still leaks. Any suggestions with that for when I do get it out. I think I may have to remove the intake to have enough room/ leverage to loosen the fittings...

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
87shelbyt2 said:
Same here, and I used the same stuff on the coolant feed fitting at the center section and it still leaks. Any suggestions with that for when I do get it out. I think I may have to remove the intake to have enough room/ leverage to loosen the fittings...

If you've used sealer and it still leaks, then the line or crimped fitting is bad. Try to get it running and see where its coming from exactly!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know exactly where it's coming from... where the threaded fitting goes into the center section. I checked it when I was fixing the leaking manifold bolt. The fitting in question is the one that has a square head, then the adapter off the side of that, that goes into the compression fitting on the braided line from the water box. but it leaks at the center section. problem is when i try to loosen the compression nut it turns the adapter fitting to and there's really no room for two wrenches/ crowsfeet etc. I'll probably have to remove the wg can and go in from the side while someone is under it holding the other fitting. The t3/t4 doesn't give a whole lot of room for anything in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts