Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I live in Hawaii and summer time is comming up. What type of synthetic oil can you folks recomend? Also how many quarts should I put in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Any normal 15W50 works fine, just make sure the cooling system is good. You don't need synthetic at all. I run Quaker State 10W30, never have problems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
cj011 said:
Okay I live in Hawaii and summer time is comming up. What type of synthetic oil can you folks recomend? Also how many quarts should I put in?

is it always the same temp in HI????? I've been there in Dec and July and found less than 10° difference.


how many quarts? you have got to be kidding?!?!?!?! what have you been using? why do you feel you need a different quatity in "summer" vs. "winter" this has to be one of the goofiest questions I've ever seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I think my last post falls in the dumb ass post category. The reason why I asked about different seasons is that several of the volkswagens my parents had recommended in the manual to run different types during summer and winter. Grant it the change is seasons was more radical than 80 in the winter and 89 during the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
cj011 said:
Wow, I think my last post falls in the dumb ass post category. The reason why I asked about different seasons is that several of the volkswagens my parents had recommended in the manual to run different types during summer and winter. Grant it the change is seasons was more radical than 80 in the winter and 89 during the summer.
the reason they recommend different for winter than summer is when the temperature actually gets cold.... (like freezing) the oil gets thicker and dosnt circulate properly so they recomend a thinner oil for winter but... too thin of an oil isnt good so they tell you to put thicker oil in the summer....

you on the other hand dont count because technicly you dont have winter.... so just use the summer oil viscosity and follow the 3000 miles or whatever interval u change your oil at.... and just keep using the same viscosity...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
LancerShelby said:
Any normal 15W50 works fine, just make sure the cooling system is good. You don't need synthetic at all. I run Quaker State 10W30, never have problems.

Why wouldn't you need synthetic???? Higher shear temp, better wear, easier flowing at cooler temps., less breakdown........the list goes on and on. Why would plaques like on the calloway vette, shelby cars have recommendations from the factory for the oil. I couldn't disagree more on this, but to each his own.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top