Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from all the info I'm gathering, I see that the oil restrictor that presses into the block to restrict the amount of oil fed to the head was used from '86+.
My question is, if you're running a slider cam, would it actually be better not to use the restrictor?
The only negative I can see is that you'd see less oil in the pan at high rpm's. Can someone inlighten with more details of this?..

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ive been running an 85 block with an 8 bolt crank, garret turbo, and a slider cam with no ill effects.

Oil pressure is noticeably lower than an engine with an oil restrictor and a roller cam though because the oil is literally just dumping out of the head. I want to say 20psi after a nice toasty freeway drive.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
A previous post on the subject.

Thanks
Randy

If you're talking about the restrictor its common practice to install one or make one with a hole of approx. .100", some were a bit smaller or larger. Some thread in a 1/8" pipe plug with a pre drilled hole. Professional method.

Its purpose is to restrict the oil flow to the cylinder head. Some early Daytona's had blown engines where it was determined the oil pump simply emptied the pan into the head. Head flooded, crank burnt up.

Ed Peters, retired Chrysler Engineer spoke of this at the Phoenix 87 Convention.
T.U sold tapes, best 2.2 video from a guy who loved and raced them.

On the other hand I left mine out as I am running a Super 60 slider cam with a reputation for wearing out. I wanted the cam well oiled and never ran the pan dry, my theory is if the cam/int shaft journals have excessive clearance you need the restrictor, or if you have roller cam, so 96.3% of performance engines should have it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts