Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of making some aluminum door panels for my GLH turbo, but it's going to cost some $$$$$$ for equipment. So I wanted to see if I would be able to sell a few sets. I planning on 0.040" 6061 aluminum cut to stock size with some bead rolling atleast around the outside. They would only take the place of the bottom section, not the top couple of inches of plastic. And would be pop riveted every 4 inches or so around the outside edge.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
No, I think this post is okay to stay.
It would be nice if more people would make more parts for our cars.

If you find a market, then great! If not, then no harm done.

The "Gauging Interest" rule is for people who are "on the fence" about selling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price will be about $150 for all four doors on a Omni. And I'm looking at using 3003-h14 aluminum instead of 6061 because it will bead roll better.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
sounds like great idea

I don't know if you can weld aluminum and steel, But a partial roll and modded duck bill vise grips could finish the roll for stock looking panels with no pop rivets. I modded vise grips for humping aluminum i/c pipes. Took some time, but they won't pop off. I need a new skin for a TC by Masi door.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
sounds like great idea

I don't know if you can weld aluminum and steel, But a partial roll and modded duck bill vise grips could finish the roll for stock looking panels with no pop rivets. I modded vise grips for humping aluminum i/c pipes. Took some time, but they won't pop off. I need a new skin for a TC by Masi door. You might have found yourself a good self emplyment opportunity.

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
I know the doors are differnt, but are there any similarities to the Omni and the Charger doors, like the front side closest to the hinge? I would be interested in a template or something similar for my car. I had thought about doing that to my car, but the effort almost doesn't seem worth it to just recover them and of course cost...

Anyone done anything different for the Chargers? Not trying to take this off topic at all. I love the Omni!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
For that price I would be interested. Would be able to get the anodized different colors? I would probally be looking for black.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Purchased everything needed today, and might have pics by the end of the weekend.

Haven't looked into doing a Charger, but might be able to do some in the future.

I'll look into anodizing. That would look good. I think they look good mill finish too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
this is something that ive been looking into tackling myself lately. not the sale of them but units for myself. im looking forward to how they come out for you. if it works ill gett a set from you and spend my time on other projects.
scott

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm right there with Scott - been thinking about doing something like this with my glh, but would rather buy them and spend time working on other items.

Please post pics when they are done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about no updates. I've been out of town for the last week in Gulf Shores Alabama. I did one front pannel as a test before I left to figure out how to cut the aluminum and to see how the bead roller works. I'll let you know as soon as I get some good pannels.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah, I would love to see some pictures! Im to the point where I need to do something with my door panels, and this would be cool!

clay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts